Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged Documents and Relics...
Forged Documents and Relics...
and the monks who forged them!

http://www.bibleinterp.com/opeds/forge357905.shtml
RE: Forged Documents and Relics...
Interesting Smile
Xtians can blow a gasket at the very suggestion that their holy horseshit has been forged. Its really quite amusing.
Since the church is built on a lie, maintaining it with more lies only makes sense.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Folklore is invented and spread despite the efforts of the orthodoxy. They must embrace the folk tales or be overrun by them. That's why the Vatican will not say that any particular artifact is bogus, even though they won't necessarily say they are authentic.

They are selling the fairytale. Look at the popular Nativity Story they portray every Christmas. It's a mishmash of both stories, because neither one by itself makes for the popular "Disney" feel. You have to play to the masses to stay on top.
There are parts of the nativity tale that are not in either gospel.

Xtians don't care. Most don't even know. Most would deny it if they found out.
(May 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm)Minimalist Wrote: and the monks who forged them!

http://www.bibleinterp.com/opeds/forge357905.shtml

Fascinating.I've always had my doubts about some relics; Eg the pieces of the true cross and nails from the true cross. During the middle ages there were enough floating around Europe build a small house. Plus of course straw from the manger and several gallons of the Virgin's breast milk.

One of my favourites is 'The Spear of Loginus' , a famous myth about the spear (the head actually not the shaft) which pierced the side of Jesus on the cross. It was a claimed at one point that Hitler had gotten hold of it---and a fat lot of good it did him.Obviously a fake or the Nazis would have won..Angel Cloud

Quote:The Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny, Holy Spear, Lance of Longinus, Spear of Longinus or Spear of Christ) is the name given to the lance that pierced Jesus's side as he hung on the cross in John's account of the Crucifixion.

Quote:This lance-point, embedded in an icon, was obtained in 1244 from the Latin emperor at Constantinople, Baldwin II, by Louis IX of France, who enshrined it with his relic of the Crown of Thorns in the Sainte Chapelle, Paris.

During the French Revolution these relics were removed to the Bibliothèque Nationale and then disappeared.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_of_Longinus

Each of two Italian churches has the head of John the Baptist. Obviously one is his head as a younger man

Visiting Italy,the relics in churches creeped me out a bit. It wasn't so much the odd body part,but I found seeing entire cadavers rotting away in glass cases tended to elicit my disgust rather than my reverence.
(May 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm)padraic Wrote: One of my favourites is 'The Spear of Loginus' , a famous myth about the spear (the head actually not the shaft) which pierced the side of Jesus on the cross. It was a claimed at one point that Hitler had gotten hold of it---and a fat lot of good it did him.Obviously a fake or the Nazis would have won..Angel Cloud

That's actually one of my favorites too. The only thing that is realistic about that story is that Hitler would steal something that didn't belong to him.
Quote:(the head actually not the shaft)

That's because xtianity has been giving people the shaft for 1500 years.