Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never had that kinds of troubles with installing a new video card
Never had that kinds of troubles with installing a new video card
I recently bought a new rig, having an Asus F2A85-M Pro motherboard and it features an onboard card. It also has two PCIe slots and I installed my card in one of them. The one that's actually designed for it, which I had to learn the hard way, since the other one is only there to rund two cards. But when starting the rig, the monitor stays black, since it still considers the onboard device the primary source. At least that's my assumption.

So, do I have to deactivate the onboard device in BIOS before trying to start with the new card? I'm rather reluctant to do that out of fear that I can't run neither afterwards.

Never had that kinds of problems. It was always plug, install drivers and go.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Never had that kinds of troubles with installing a new video card
Are you familiar with tweaking the bios? Disabling the onboard vid should be the first thing you do if you install a dedicated graphics card.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 24, 2015 at 7:26 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Are you familiar with tweaking the bios? Disabling the onboard vid should be the first thing you do if you install a dedicated graphics card.

Yes, I am. Problem is, if I deactivate onboard and it still doesn't recognize the new one, I'm sitting before a black screen without any possibility to roll back.
You can always reset the bios if so
Are you positive the card is compatible! double check. wasn't there a voltage change in the pcie standard a while ago?
Also put in any other card in the same slot to confirm the mb port is ok.
If the mb is ok, reset or pull the battery out temporarily.
last resort, put new card in another pc to confirm... Something may be doa!

Are connecting on vga, dvi or hdmi? Have you tried changing? Maybe it is working but not on that output? just a thought.
If you are using 2 monitors, turn one off and unplug it from the card.

Process of elimination.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 25, 2015 at 5:28 am)ignoramus Wrote: Are you positive the card is compatible! double check. wasn't there a voltage change in the pcie standard a while ago?

Yes, it's compatible. I mistakenly put it in the wrong PCIe slot, the one for running 2 paralell cards, and it fired up, although crashing windows in the process. It also shows up in the hardware monitor as a VGA device.
What os are you running? 32 or 64?
Is this a brand new mb?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm running Win7 64 bit. I bought this rig new, but it's about 2 years old. That's why it was on sale at an online vendor. Same with the card, which isn't an incredibly powerful model anyway. It's a Geforce GTX 650ti, but it's a DX 11 card.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Had to reformat and reinstall everything. Brian37 62 2835 September 17, 2023 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  excuse me i had insult to you... warning 11 1175 June 8, 2023 at 12:05 am
Last Post: deleted
  Installing GCC 13.1.0 FlatAssembler 55 7656 May 7, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Constantly installing "new" version of Firezilla. Gawdzilla Sama 5 977 October 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama