Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting
Visiting
Hello,

I am a reformed (protestant) Christian, and I'm interested in discussion about theology, science, and history (history being a more recent and a weaker area of study for me).  I reviewed a few other forums, where I didn't feel, that this would happen, and decided that there might be a place for me here.  Bad arguments drive me crazy; even if I agree with the conclusion, and my goal is to hopefully refine arguments on both sides in the search for truth.  I want to clear up misconceptions and strawmen from others and in my own assertions. 

If I'm honest, I'm not very impressed; with the leaders of the new atheist movement.  Many argument may have appeal on the surface, but there is little substance when investigating deeper.  Further my experience with a number of militant atheist hasn't been very positive either, or encouraging towards thoughtful discussion.  I'm hoping to change that here. 

A little background on myself.  When I was a child, I went to church with my grandparents (my parents where never very religious).  As I became older I was given the choice to attend, and decided not to.  Then in my later teens, I was convinced by my cousin to attend the youth group at the same church.  It was fun, it a good group of people, and I liked the girls who attended Big Grin .  At this point, I had belief in God, and the history, but would not consider myself a Christian.  Through college, I had moments of conviction, but was for the most part not active in any way with Christianity.  This also continued, as I moved away, and back again over a course of about 6-7 years.  During a time, when I was about 23-24 years old, I can't explain why, but I started watching some late night televangelist.  One (who is largely heretical and primarily teaches the prosperity gospel) had a message one night that spoke to me.  From there I committed myself to God as Lord, and immediately started gaining interest in scripture and Christian speakers.  It's difficult to explain to others, but I can clearly pinpoint the change within myself.  Especially early on, and through much of my journey, this has been apart from the Church, and without any peer pressure.

I am an Electrical Engineer, who programs, builds, and troubleshoots machine controls.  I am very analytical (and realize this sometimes annoys people), and I'm familiar with logic.  I apologize for the long intro, but wanted people to know where I'm coming from and any expectations.
RE: Visiting
Hello.

There are plenty around here who think they have an invisible friend.  I am not one of them.
Welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hello Roadrunner.  Welcome

Look around, you will find both good and bad arguments for a variety of things here. Not all atheists are logical nor is their reasoning always sound. And most of us don't claim to be able to prove there is no god, just that there is insufficient evidence of one to make belief a serious consideration.  I've yet to see a sound argument for god here or elsewhere, but feel free to give it a whirl.

You will find that many people here are irritated by the term "new atheist."  Atheist is just a definition for those who do not have a belief in god. It isn't a philosophy, and most atheists aren't much interested in deconverting believers, though most of us would like to maintain a secular state--one that does not promote or privilege religion.  The four horsemen (about whom I have mixed feelings) are not heroes or spokesmen for atheism generally.  It would be like having spokesmen for aunicornism.   What sets the four horsemen apart is that they are antireligion.  I have some sympathy with that but not to the extreme that they take it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Hello. I'm an old atheist and an Electrical Engineer. I can talk about electrickery but I know next to cock all about theology.
(September 29, 2015 at 1:02 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: If I'm honest, I'm not very impressed; with the leaders of the new atheist movement.  Many argument may have appeal on the surface, but there is little substance when investigating deeper.  Further my experience with a number of militant atheist hasn't been very positive either, or encouraging towards thoughtful discussion.  I'm hoping to change that here. 

Bring thoughtfulness and that can happen.

Welcome.

Welcome newcomer.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome
Dying to live, living to die.
While theists are welcome here, they are well advised to treat the atheists as individuals. You will find library atheists here, and verbal boxers here. And even amongst ourselves we don't always agree. The worst thing a theist can do here is to take things personally. There is a huge difference between human rights, and the credibility of what you claim. Welcome to the lion's den.
Welcome to the forum.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]