Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the name for modern atheists?
What I mean is, there is a lot of different ways to categorize people. Like for a Muslim, there is a Shia, Sunni, Sufi, and a Quranist. And for a Christian, there is Catholic, Baptist, WBC Bigot (lol) and etc....

But what is the name or category for modern western atheism?

Some atheist groups I know are La Vey Atheists, Buddhist Atheists, and Sikh and Hinduism Atheists. (Which doesn't make sense because isn't the point of atheism to be irreligious?)

Then there are these scientific atheists, and plain old atheists, (like babies and shoes).

But what is the category for the mainstream atheism in the west (like you guys)? Like the atheists that are irreligious, not scientists in profession, pro-evolution, and are generally secular and liberal in culture (e.g. Sam Harris, Bill Maher, Hitchens. NOT Dawkins, because Dawkins is a scientific atheist)

So what is the category for your guyses type of atheism? Is it neo-Atheist?
RE: What is the name for modern atheists?
No.  Atheist was good enough for the ancient Greeks and its good enough for me.
It's more complicated than that. For instance, I just call myself an atheist, even though I'm more specifically an agnostic atheist. But that only speaks for me. The only thing that I think would be safe to assume is common among all of us, is that we only speak for our individual selves.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Vorlonite is available . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Bambi,

I appreciate you asking the question, I think it's a good one. What I find is that unlike religious ideologies where there are core beliefs and subsequent beliefs which delineates the sect of the core belief, Atheism espouses one belief and one only: There is no God or Gods. Out of that there are no subsequent beliefs. Evolution is separate and there are atheists who accept evolution and atheists who think it has serious issues, but it has nothing to do with their atheism. I honestly think Atheist has no sect, nor needs one. They are not espousing a belief in anything requiring sub-categorization, they are only espousing a single statement about a specific topic. No God.

At best, you will get agnostic atheist or gnostic atheist. There are some that are not comfortable with the logic of making a definitive statement about something unknowable, others are fine with it.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(October 2, 2015 at 1:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Bambi,

I appreciate you asking the question, I think it's a good one.  What I find is that unlike religious ideologies where there are core beliefs and subsequent beliefs which delineates the sect of the core belief, Atheism spouses one belief and one only:  There is no God or Gods.  Out of that there are no subsequent beliefs.  Evolution is separate and there are atheists who accept evolution and atheists who think it has serious issues, but it has nothing to do with their atheism.  I honestly think Atheist has no sect, nor needs one.  They are not espousing a belief in anything requiring sub-categorization, they are only espousing a single statement about a specific topic.  No God.  

At best, you will get agnostic atheist or gnostic atheist.  There are some that are not comfortable with the logic of making a definitive statement about something unknowable, others are fine with it.

See you get it. That makes one Christian who actually knows what atheism is.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Everybody just calls me a heathen.
(October 2, 2015 at 1:34 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(October 2, 2015 at 1:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Bambi,

I appreciate you asking the question, I think it's a good one.  What I find is that unlike religious ideologies where there are core beliefs and subsequent beliefs which delineates the sect of the core belief, Atheism spouses one belief and one only:  There is no God or Gods.  Out of that there are no subsequent beliefs.  Evolution is separate and there are atheists who accept evolution and atheists who think it has serious issues, but it has nothing to do with their atheism.  I honestly think Atheist has no sect, nor needs one.  They are not espousing a belief in anything requiring sub-categorization, they are only espousing a single statement about a specific topic.  No God.  

At best, you will get agnostic atheist or gnostic atheist.  There are some that are not comfortable with the logic of making a definitive statement about something unknowable, others are fine with it.

See you get it. That makes one Christian who actually knows what atheism is.

Those years of studying have finally paid off!

Seriously I'm with you guys though on when people over complicate what atheism is.  It is not a belief system.  "System" means there are further beliefs/statements to be made.  It is a belief, in so much that people are saying they believe there is no such thing as God, or that they have no reason to believe there is a God.  When i see it called what it isn't, I tend to chime in.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
I kinda like 'apostate' since I did consider myself Catholic for a time.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Dammit king...you're going to give theists a bad name!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The founding fathers/mothers of Modern Atheism/Liberalism. Nishant Xavier 66 4028 August 6, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3219 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3264 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2810 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6551 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  taking the lord's name in vain drfuzzy 55 7595 February 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What's your atheist stripper name? Spooky 31 6531 March 15, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Soviet Union wars in the name of Atheism? IanHulett 28 9085 February 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Big Name NFL Athlete Asserts his Atheism FatAndFaithless 41 13961 January 21, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Chas