Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally,a real celebrity
Finally,a real celebrity
Australia has a new,deserving celebrity.

16 year old Jessica Watson has today sailed into Sydney harbour after a 7 month solo circum navigation of the world.

A remarkable feat at any age. I remember the fuss when it was done by Sir Francis Chichester in 1967.

OK ,if she were my daughter,she would have gone off on her own over my dead body. My objection was pragmatic,not emotional. I honestly didn't think she would succeed and thought the attempt foolhardy. I believed she would fail and that we would foot a huge and unnecessary rescue bill. Seems she had the skill and the guts needed after all ( I reject the notion of luck.)--and a very good yacht.

I'm thrilled for her.
RE: Finally,a real celebrity
All kudos to Jessica!

As you say.... "An amazing feat at any age let alone @ 16yrs"

As for celebrity?? I don't think she would want it.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The trouble is that she is going to spend the rest of her life trying to top it.

But congrats to her anyway, it's not something I could have done.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Quote:As for celebrity?? I don't think she would want it.

Too late

Besides, that's not quite the impression I got from her website. Expensive exercise, probably an economic necessity.

However,when I think of the dropkicks on all those reality shows, I hope Jessica makes squillions,

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/
Rich kid sails around the world.

Whoopie. Hardly even newsworthy much less worthy of celebrity status. It's only the umpteenth time someone has done it.

I seriously doubt there were not chase craft tailing her entire journey ready to pluck her out of the sea if things went south.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(May 15, 2010 at 8:05 am)Dotard Wrote: Rich kid sails around the world.

Whoopie. Hardly even newsworthy much less worthy of celebrity status. It's only the umpteenth time someone has done it.

I seriously doubt there were not chase craft tailing her entire journey ready to pluck her out of the sea if things went south.

Been eating lemons again? Angel Cloud
I tend towards Dotard's point of view on this one.
I can't stand the worship of " celebrities ". Most are complete tossers, in my view.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(May 15, 2010 at 8:54 am)padraic Wrote:
(May 15, 2010 at 8:05 am)Dotard Wrote: Rich kid sails around the world.

Been eating lemons again? Angel Cloud

Shouldnt she have been at school or something?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well, the Aussie's need a new celebrity since Crocodile Dundee is no longer popular.

This is the best they could come up with.
Oh.. and no, I don't eat lemons. But for breakfast this morning I had a big plate of mean eggs and ham and a tall glass of Hater-aid.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(May 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm)Dotard Wrote: Well, the Aussie's need a new celebrity since Crocodile Dundee is no longer popular.

This is the best they could come up with.

Yeah, Hugh Jackman, Kate Blanchett, Sam Worthington, Peter Jackson, Guy Peirce, Hugo Weaving,

the Aussie cricketers, etc,etc,etc...................................................

None of them really count,

do they.........

Thinking
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.