Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takeaway Chow Mein
Takeaway Chow Mein
Alright, so. Just made my first attempt at chicken chow mein. It went well, really well but not by takeaway standards.
I added in a dab of msg to see if it would make a difference and while it did the taste was nowhere near as good as the China China down the road.
I suspect theres an ingredient I don't know about in the marinate. Any ideas as to what it might be?
I googled the shit out of this but got very little.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: Takeaway Chow Mein
vinegar?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Rice?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Tincture of opium?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: cute-cat-cute-kittens-9820698-456-417.jpg]

(sorry- couldn't help it)
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I know what you mean. One of my main dishes is black bean sauce but Chinese dishes from the local take-away seem to have the shiny, glossy texture. I've heard that comes from soy beans but I'm not sure.

I throw in sesame oil, rice vinegar and either soy sauce or fish sauce for the salt.

Not that I can eat out any more because my husband suffers from an allergy to gluten and soy sauce normally contains gluten. I was a big fan of Thai food.
Unfortunately, there is more than just the ingredients, and their proportions, to cooking.  There is the order things are done, and the temperature and duration of cooking, etc.

You might want to look at cookbook recipes for Chinese food to see if you can find something to your liking.

Regardless of what you find in cookbooks or recipes online (make sure you pay attention to techniques that are used), and regardless of whether it will be better or worse, it will not be the same as the takeout from your local restaurant unless you use the same ingredients in the same proportions made with the same techniques.  To learn that, you would have to see what they do in that particular restaurant.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Nothing ever tastes the same as take away food. Some people consider that to be a good thing, but not with Chinese. Chinese is always better from a restaurant, I think.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 12, 2015 at 3:10 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: [Image: cute-cat-cute-kittens-9820698-456-417.jpg]

(sorry- couldn't help it)

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Hard to tell what you're missing without knowing what you used.