Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions
The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions
I know that there's two testaments to the bible, the old and the new, and really, they are basically identical. They both contain information that cannot be proven, or is disproven due to science. Here's somethings I thought of about the old and new testaments:

According to the bible, the Earth is about 9000 years old, and that was told from biblical professionals.
-that's incredibly ridiculous since even the dinosaurs were alive further back than that, and you can't tell me that the dinosaurs weren't real. And the oldest rock we've found was proven to be 3.8 billion years old, and that's not even the age of the Earth.

According to the bible, the first two humans were Adam and Eve.
-that's impossible Biblical professionals have come to claim that they were alive 4004BC. Impossible because even the Clovis culture was real and alive back 11000 years, and so far, the oldest civilization we've discovered is about 27000 years old, so that disproves the 1st humans being adam and eve.

according to the new testament, jesus was god in some way, and if he is as perfect as many percieve him to be, then he doesn't tell lies.
-Wrong again, Jesus speaks about praying to god and that person praying will always get an answer from him. He's clearly lying since praying to god is just nonsense since you don't ever get an answer.

There's a lot more fallacies and contradictions with the two testaments, I'll try to come up with some more. Maybe some of you people can come up with some aswell, or even challenge them in some way.
RE: The Bible and its fallacies and contradictions
About getting no response to prayer: Christians will tell you that you're just not looking hard enough. I compare their search for answers or signs from their deity to finding recognizable objects in clouds (e.i. pareidolia http://www.skepdic.com/pareidol.html )
No, no....'god' just phonied up all that nasty 'evidence' to test your faith.

(After you've listened to religious shitwits for a little while you get to know their routines better than they know them themselves.)

Greetings.
Because that's totally what the people here are saying, Min...Big Grin

Welcome aboard to AF, superstarr! I think you'll find the discussion here is always engaging and fun! Smile
Those dates are one crazy monks diversion, which than got added as a side note to some versions of the KJV. Much to the amusement of serious Christians, and adopted as law by stupid creationist halfwits.

The bible's style is one of seemingly contradictory information. Those cheeky middle easterners huh? I love the way you line up a fallacy that turns out to actually not be a fallacy. That happens a lot. I guess that's wishful thinking for you. Perhaps you think believing that bullshit strongly enough will make it true.
Quote:Much to the amusement of serious Christians

Now there is a concept I never considered. Not "serious Christians"....fuck, most of them are flat-out dour.

But "amusement" for Christians. Who'd a thunk it.
I sometimes think that some extremists go to far where they base everything on the bible. Lol, those people really get annoying when they say that the bible is definately to be taken literally. Extremely doubt that the bible was meant to be read and understood literally.
It most certainly wasnt, superstarr. Smile The Bible is written in a manner that indicates qite clearly there is a metaphor to be found beneath the actual stories. Believing in what the stories signify is what makes a Christian a Christian, not believing that the stories themselves are true.

The Bible is not innerrant or infalliable, since it is written by men, not God Himself. It is a series of man's observations and understandings on God and His relation to human nature.
(May 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm)superstarr Wrote: Extremely doubt that the bible was meant to be read and understood literally.

Very few people attempt it. It can only lead to full blown insanity. It can't be taken literally any other way. Most theists will actually tell you that (edit: See, Watson did).

What the extremists do is take specific parts of the bible(s) and interpret them in extreme ways. Sometimes that means taking a verse and/or chapter literally, sometimes it means believing that their interpretation should be forced on everyone else.
Lol Sorry to shank ya there, Paul! Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44105 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5191 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Kent Hovind talks about bible contradictions drfuzzy 29 7114 January 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  At its Core, Christianity is a Gay Religion Rhondazvous 34 6632 July 6, 2015 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Metis
  I don't care about bible contradictions. CapnAwesome 112 25883 July 1, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19003 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7481 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Creation "science" at its finest! Esquilax 22 7499 January 30, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7447 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 23464 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue