Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Discussion on Hate
Frank Discussion on Hate
I'd like to open a dialogue to discuss the origins and explinations for Hate in an effort to perhaps open some perspectives up and share perspective.

I have heard before that Hate comes from fear.. I think it was yoda. I think Hate comes from predoninantly envy or resentment. I think that some theists live in a world of fear. It's goverened by rules to keep you out of "eternal damnation" and they're probably envious of the lack of rules and structure some atheists and theists live a good life by. A more equanimical approach would be to belive in a more Buddhist Nirvana approach and say that heaven is this place of eternal freedom from pain and hell woul be everything else that exists eternally.

I welcome critiques or someone taking the atheist perspective as well.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Frank Discussion on Hate
I think it depends on what type of hate you're talking about. If somebody killed my mother, especially if it was first degree murder, then yeah, I'd likely hate this person. However, there's another type of hate, people hating blacks for their skin, gays for their orientation, etc...

The latter, I think, extends from human's social nature which has us form in groups/tribes and as a result we begin to hate people different from us because they are not part of our group. I don't think hate/prejudice is as simple as that, but that's where I think it originates from.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I think to understand hate, one also has to understand love. The two are virtually one and the same, yet complete opposites by their nature. Think about it:

Love is an extremely powerful attachment,
Hate is also an extremely powerful attachment.

Love motivates the best actions possible in us,
Hate motivates the worst actions possible in us.

Love is loving another person despite all of their flaws,
Hate is hating another person because of all of their flaws.

and finally, hate is what happens when one spurns love away, it is the rejection of all of those good things that love brings. When you turn away love for no reason other than to turn it away, I believe it becomes a very wicked and corrupt sort of love*, one that isn't emotionally healthy at all. I.e.- hated.

*Similar to LULZ' corruption of L-O-L Big Grin
(May 20, 2010 at 9:23 am)Watson Wrote: Hate is hating another person because of all of their flaws.

That is a rather pithy, and ultimately too simplistic view of hate.

By what "flaws" does a bigot hate in a black person? Is skin color a flaw?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
OK let's work on defining hate then. The hate I'm referencing would be "To have a great aversion to, with a strong desire that evil should befall the person toward whom the feeling is directed; to dislike intensely; to detest; as, to hate one's enemies; to hate hypocrisy." [1913 Webster] Or "inflamed with extreme dislike"[same]. You can hate action, intention, people or even abstract concepts like blus, etc.

So we'll not get into the results of Hate, or Love it's opposite, just the origins of hate. You can hate african americans, or be prejudiced to them, there is a distinction and I'm talking about the former.

I would say that you hate the person who killedyour mother (continuing your analogy) because of your resentment of that person for what they've taken from your reality. They truly did nothing to you directly for you to hate, they didn't rape you or punch you, most of theese hates are indirect or based off of prejudiced. They're the ones based off of resentment and envy.

Even if it was a direct personal violation, then it would still be based off of a resentment for violating your person, ideals, etc.

Let's look at resentment: In a bad sense, strong displeasure; anger; hostility provoked by a wrong or injury experienced. [1913 Webster]
But the primary definition is 1. The act of resenting (which is to feel). [1913 Webster] or 2. The state of holding something in the mind as a subject of contemplation, or of being inclined to reflect upon something; a state of consciousness; conviction; feeling; impression. (which is now obsolete in today's vernacular)

If we use the original definition for resentment which I'll summarize as "the act of feeling or thinking on an experience, usually in a negative way". What would it take for you to not harbor that resentment thus ridding you of the hate? Can a Robot hate? If there was a drug that temporarily disabled your emotional ability what would happen after it wore off?? Would you still hate your rapist?

Agree / disagree / comment?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
What about meta-hate? The hatred of hatred itself? It kinda spirals into a vicious circle and gets worse and worse, perhaps? Perhaps the cure is meta-love? The love of love? The more you love the more you love?

Thoughts? Lol.

EvF
Can't help as regards the origins but as a word it pretty well expresses a human feeling towards someone/something, whatever the motivating factor(s) may be.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
The word 'hate' has many connotations, that's part of the problem this discussion has going in. I hate mushrooms, for example. I don't simply dislike them. I fucking hate them. That kind of hate harms no one, so it's really a non-issue.

The kind of hatred that fuels racism, or burns at core of right wing political demonstrations, or murders abortion doctors... that kind of hatred doesn't come from any one place or cause. But what's at the heart of it? I think that's the real question Tack is asking, but I'm not sure there is an answer... unless it's fear. Each form that hatred takes is caused by different things, but fear does seem to be a factor in most of them. Fear of the unknown. Fear of that which is different. Fear of being usurped from one's place in the world. Fear of being wrong. Fear of change. Etc.

Besides... would Yoda lie?
I love mushrooms.....particularly in a marsala wine sauce!
I love mushrooms too. But if I hated them I do not think that hate would come from fear.

I hate religion but I'm certainly not afraid of it itself. Maybe I should be though.

Yoda says some fucking stupid things you know. "There is no try, there is only do" - Yoda.....

Yoda you asswipe trying is just attempted effort, it is doing, it's a word in the dictionary, trying, attempting - is something we all do so you're talking out of your ancient alien ass.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14293 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17928 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 67353 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3664 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general) ScienceAf 92 14336 August 27, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Hate KUSA 47 7386 December 28, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15143 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Why do people hate school shooters? MusicLovingAtheist 84 19116 November 24, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Elskidor
  The place of rage and hate Lemonvariable72 45 7975 November 20, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 30671 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist