Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the dumbest thing you've ever heard a theist say?
What is the dumbest thing you've ever heard a theist say?
I'm genuinely curious. 

I had a Christian tell me "If you believe in evolution, then you think we ultimately came from a rock."
RE: What is the dumbest thing you've ever heard a theist say?
Basically anything blondie regurgitates from creationist sites
Dying to live, living to die.
One of many dumb things, off the top of my head:
When I was still a theist, a co-worker was angry to find that I didn't accept the story of Noah and the Great Flood as literal truth.

"Fine, go by facts, then. But, facts are just theories like everything else."
"If evolution is true how come slugs haven't evolved and become slug people?".
(October 17, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Laika Wrote: I'm genuinely curious. 

I had a Christian tell me "If you believe in evolution, then you think we ultimately came from a rock."

Not necessarily true, although it does look more and more like we did ultimately come from a rock.  Modern origin research does seem find more and more lines of evidence pointing to life on earth with its particularities originated because proper conditions existed on the surfaces of particular rocks.
It's the final Irony.
(October 18, 2015 at 12:30 am)Chuck Wrote:
(October 17, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Laika Wrote: I'm genuinely curious. 

Not necessarily true, although it does look more and more like we did ultimately come from a rock.  Modern origin research does seem find more and more lines of evidence pointing to life on earth with its particularities originated because proper conditions existed on the surfaces of particular rocks.
We might have come from substances located on or within rocks, but we did not evolve from the rock itself, because the rock is not alive.
(October 18, 2015 at 12:49 am)Laika Wrote:
(October 18, 2015 at 12:30 am)Chuck Wrote: Not necessarily true, although it does look more and more like we did ultimately come from a rock.  Modern origin research does seem find more and more lines of evidence pointing to life on earth with its particularities originated because proper conditions existed on the surfaces of particular rocks.
We might have come from substances located on or within rocks, but we did not evolve from the rock itself, because the rock is not alive.

That is not as clear cut or clearly accepted by the origin research community as you might think.

There is one school of thought which argues the basic organic processes that underpin all life which exist today are actually the artifact, or catalytic results, of a wholly different system of inorganic, mineral based life that existed prior to the first organic life, but which habe since gone extinct. So this school would argue that some rocks, or at least clay, which are the ultimate residual of break down of many types of rocks, were able to enfold information about its own configuration and transmit this information to the products of formation of more clay. And the complex inorganic crystalline chemistry that happened in this process formed the catalyst and scaffolding for the basic organic chemistry of that first organic life.

So this school would argue the first life were based on ultimate weathering products of rocks, and we, while not the direct genetic descendants of this inorganic life, did evolve from this inorganic ancester through a different clay chemical catalytic process.
(October 18, 2015 at 1:17 am)Chuck Wrote:
(October 18, 2015 at 12:49 am)Laika Wrote: We might have come from substances located on or within rocks, but we did not evolve from the rock itself, because the rock is not alive.

That is not as clear cut or clearly accepted by the origin research community as you might think.

There is one school of thought which argues the basic organic processes that underpin all life which exist today are actually the artifact, or catalytic results, of a wholly different system of inorganic, mineral based life that existed prior to the first organic life, but which habe since gone extinct. So this school would argue that some rocks, or at least clay, which are the ultimate residual of break down of many types of rocks, were able to enfold information about its own configuration and transmit this information to the products of formation of more clay. And the complex inorganic crystalline chemistry that happened in this process formed the catalyst and scaffolding for the basic organic chemistry of that first organic life.

So this school would argue the first life were based on ultimate weathering products of rocks, and we, while not the direct genetic descendants of this inorganic life, did evolve from this inorganic ancester through a different clay chemical catalytic process.
Wow. You just scienced me. I guess you do learn something new every day. Thanks for the insight, I'll do some further research on it.
Here's a new Darkmatter2525 video which shows how stupid the whole religious spiel is from start to finish.

http://youtu.be/A-D8Mf9DdQI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74696 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11439 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 710 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2590 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10234 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3360 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16965 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8747 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2793 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9134 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger