Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thirteeth Floor
The Thirteeth Floor
I wa watching "The Thirteeth Floor" again last night.

The primary users created a simulation which then created their own simulation. The premise of the movie is the primary users wanted to shut down the simulation's simulation.

Would that be ethical? IMHO, we are not really anymore 'alive' then the simulations and the same rules of ethics and morality should be applied.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: The Thirteeth Floor
(October 24, 2015 at 10:55 am)IATIA Wrote: I wa watching "The Thirteeth Floor" again last night.

The primary users created a simulation which then created their own simulation. The premise of the movie is the primary users wanted to shut down the simulation's simulation.

Would that be ethical? IMHO, we are not really anymore 'alive' then the simulations and the same rules of ethics and morality should be applied.

Yeh and this is where the subjective nature of morality comes in.

Personally I feel it'd be unethical for the human to suffer in vr for fake/not-real/manufactured problems, on the other hand it is unethical to terminate the existance of virtual beings if they truly have individual feelings and identities.

But in my moral system, survival of my own species takes priority over virtual beings or even other species, thus if the virtual world is to collide with what I see as the real world, I'd side to protect the real world.

PS: The VR future in that movie is 2024, right? That's right around the corner, and that makes me excited
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 24, 2015 at 10:55 am)IATIA Wrote: I wa watching "The Thirteeth Floor" again last night.

Yes, I know that movie. Kept me thinking that nobody really knows if life really goes on outside their immediate field of vision.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The movie does not look familiar to me. I might have to watch it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
That was a good movie that flew mostly under the radar. Vincent D'Onofrio is pretty good in it, too.

Yeah, creating consciousness like that definitely blurs the lines of what is ethical. I think it all depends on how you do it. Creating a simulation of the 1920's is probably immoral given that many people in your simulation are going to suffer.
(October 24, 2015 at 1:02 pm)Kitan Wrote: The movie does not look familiar to me. I might have to watch it.

It is definitely a must watch.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 24, 2015 at 1:23 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Creating a simulation of the 1920's is probably immoral given that many people in your simulation are going to suffer.

One could create a 1920's scenario that was all good, but if the simulations were truly alive, they would develop their own personalities and create their own 'bad'.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 24, 2015 at 1:23 pm)Faith No More Wrote: That was a good movie that flew mostly under the radar.  Vincent D'Onofrio is pretty good in it, too.

D'onofrio is good in most movies he stars in. If you like his style, that is. Which I do.
(October 24, 2015 at 11:33 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: But in my moral system, survival of my own species takes priority over virtual beings or even other species, thus if the virtual world is to collide with what I see as the real world, I'd side to protect the real world.

But the unanswered question in the movie, where is the real world? And is a simulation more 'real' than the simulation's simulation? Would the ethics and morality be applied by the order of the simulations?
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 24, 2015 at 7:15 pm)IATIA Wrote: But the unanswered question in the movie, where is the real world?  And is a simulation more 'real' than the simulation's simulation?  Would the ethics and morality be applied by the order of the simulations?

As far as I remember it, it's like pealing an onion or a Russian doll.