Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice Essay
Nice Essay
from Italian scholar, Antonio Lombatti, on the apparent need of some xtians to worship relics.

http://www.bibleinterp.com/opeds/cain1357902.shtml

Quote:While pareidolia seems to be a psychological phenomenon of all Christianities, relics and weeping statues are confined to the Catholic universe. The best scholar who debunked many of these fake relics was a Christian: John Calvin. I consider him to be still the best ally in this battle against ignorance and superstition. It was he -- and not an agnostic or an atheist -- to show the absurdity of a cult, which brought his religion close to paganism.
RE: Nice Essay
Nice essay I liked it. I do have to say I really enjoy the aspects of my denomination that are based off of the protestant reformation. I don't think he was accurate at all in saying "all Christianities", I know it doens't apply to my Church. I would have like to see him talk more of the distinctions between pareidolia, idolatry and symbolism.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari