Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey to enlightenment (long-ish)
My journey to enlightenment (long-ish)
I was born into a Congregationalist household. i was NOT a normal child, however.
I was born at 26 weeks gestation in 1985, and spent the following 4 months in the hospital fighting for my life. I suffered 2 strokes that left my right side weak.
I have been living my entire life with one fully-usable hand and one sorta-usable hand, to say nothing of the damage done to my legs. I can walk and run, but not well.
What's that got to do with my religion?

From a young age I had to adapt to do anything of substance, I questioned everything, challenged the status quo on everything by sheer virtue of it being part of the way I was forced to think not by my parents but by my environment. My mother insisted on calling me a "miracle baby", even as a young kid I knew better. I was (and still am) a hard-headded, stubborn sonofabitch and could not come to terms with how a so-called "Loving, merciful God" would give an innocent child a disability that caused nothing but hardship. My attention turned to science fiction, as I transitioned from PBS children's television to Star Trek at the age of 4.

From then on, when faced with religious dogma I immediately questioned it, the logical fallacies that make up Christian beliefs showed their true colors and refused to compute (If the Earth was created by God 6K years ago, why are the dinosaurs 65 million years old?" the answer "God did it" didn't sit well with me because I never took anything at face value without at least some shred of hard evidence (I don't care how big, but it's gotta be something that makes logical sense and that most certainly didn't).

However, being a disabled, developmentally-offtrack oddball fat kid the only social environment that accepted me for who and what I was was my family's church (being in SW Florida that meant lots and lots
of old folk, lots of veterans, grandparents and retired clergy from almost every christian sect. The church was liberal as far as accepting other interpretations of God goes, so long as they were Abrahamic (they held a joint service once a year with the neighboring Synagogue, everyone saw it as rather enlightening).

Friction came when Confirmation was upon me at 14. For the first time my beliefs were called into question by my peers and my parents. I tried to leave then and there but my parents wouldn't let me. I
sucked it up and did what was one of the most difficult things I've had to do: Write a complete lie for a 'statement of faith' and deliver it to the congregation with a straight face, it worked almost too well.

After that my involvement in the church started to fade as my parents stopped caring if I actually went on Sundays. I lent a hand at holiday dinners, ran the sound system at services when asked, that sort of
thing, keeping the fact that I was skeptical about the whole Jesus thing hidden behind a well-polished mask. Then 9/11 happened, and any doubt I had left about there being a god vanished.

I considered myself a 'free-agent agnostic' for many years. Then in the space of two years
I lost two relatives to treatable forms of cancer, they refused treatment on religious grounds (being "Christian Scientists" -- an oxymoron if ever there was one), being the big proponent of modern
medicine that I am that pushed me further away from religion knowing my family tree was poisoned by idiots.

Three years ago I left home, my Agnosticism fully in place. I met a girl raised in a Mormon household who had recently gotten out of an abusive relationship with an extremely hypocritical Jehovah's witness (and she still believes some of their crap) and got romantically involved, keeping her infant son at arm's length as the father was still lurking about. We've been apart now for 5 months, mutually having cited idealogical differences. She believes in supernatual abilities like telepathy, prognostication and "healing", and of course states that she can do all these things.

I live and work in a place where most everyone is a devout Jesus-praising bible thumper. I've been approached at work to come to various churches (all of them are the new-agey "non denominational" BS types.) I politely decline, there's all of 2 people in my office who's religious affiliations are ambiguous (as they, like me don't mention their religion at work and we don't ask).

I'm a minority in more ways then one Sad
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in Duct Tape!"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Live Long and Prosper."
RE: My journey to enlightenment (long-ish)
Quite a story.

Welcome aboard.
Welcome on AF srqhivemind!

Quite a story indeed. Hope you can start enjoying free speech here.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Welcome Big Grin

The Borg are indeed the greatest SciFi creation.
The Borg remind me of muslims.
Welcome Smile
(June 6, 2010 at 6:36 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome Big Grin

The Borg are indeed the greatest SciFi creation.

Mainly because they reflect the Abrahamic religions so incredibly well
There is much about being "human" that is not well understood.

'telepathy' for want of a better word, is the best description of how I can "pick up" on the emotional status of my own children and family. I put it down to the "I am here" signal (@ a electromagnetic level) that I am attuned to mainly because it is a survival tactic that has evolved with the human species. Nothing mystical about it. Sometimes it is quite clear and a bit scary for that. But I take it as normal and don't make a fuss about it nor do I think that there should be a cult developed to deal with it.

There are times when one can "prognosticate" a situation but then on closer examination one realises that there is a logical statistical reason as to WHY the mind has come to this conclusion and visited the "image" onto the consciousness of the individual.

There ARE many strange things in this universe and it is such fun to question ALL of them and whittle away the nonsense to get at the truth of the matter. Yes??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Dude, you are quite a fighter.

My hat is off to you.

P.s favorite Sci-fi series is Babylon5, followed by farscape.

Long time SF fan here.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(June 7, 2010 at 4:35 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Dude, you are quite a fighter.

My hat is off to you.

P.s favorite Sci-fi series is Babylon5, followed by farscape.

Long time SF fan here.

Thanks,

I have to give credit where credit is due to Star Trek TNG for my initial geekery. Further credit must be given to Reading Rainbow and its ATNG episode that i happened to see within a month of first catching TNG itself, which in one fell swoop managed to tell me that "it's make believe", yet still totally awesome. my sense of fantasy vs reality developed from there.

These days I'm a fan of all the major players in SF (Trek, 'Gate, 'Scape, BSG, Who, B5, etc)
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in Duct Tape!"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Live Long and Prosper."
(June 5, 2010 at 9:22 pm)srqhivemind Wrote: From then on, when faced with religious dogma I immediately questioned it, the logical fallacies that make up Christian beliefs showed their true colors and refused to compute (If the Earth was created by God 6K years ago, why are the dinosaurs 65 million years old?" the answer "God did it" didn't sit well with me because I never took anything at face value without at least some shred of hard evidence (I don't care how big, but it's gotta be something that makes logical sense and that most certainly didn't).
Have you ever questioned scientific dogma the same way you questioned religious dogma? For example, how to scientists know dinosaurs are 65 million years old? There is really no way they can check the accuracy of their conclusions until someone invents a way to travel back in time to see what actually happened.

If you would like to find out more about the scientific evidence against evolution I recommend these sites:

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/index.htm

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arj
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Conversion - De-conversion *Long* rskovride 9 3374 March 4, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Journey to Jewish Humanism el_presidente357 28 6834 August 9, 2015 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: McDoogins
  Confessions of a Professional Mega-Church Drummer (long, sorry) pearldrumbum 30 6494 February 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Long A$$ $tory Fenix 5 1639 January 9, 2014 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Fenix
  The long and winding road. FMC 10 3151 September 27, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  The long slow way Terr 0 1254 May 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Terr
  My journey to atheism squitten 23 6065 January 2, 2013 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  My Conversion from Fundamentalism (Long!) Archbow 33 13807 November 7, 2012 at 9:58 am
Last Post: SkepticalMoron
  My deconversion story - Long Freedom 8 4034 April 11, 2012 at 9:02 am
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  My journey out of hell. Poetess 7 3713 April 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: NoMoreFaith