Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
God, Christianity, Control, & Fear
God, Christianity, Control, & Fear
*rewritten*

If the bible is true, we are being punished for a man that disobeyed God by eating from a magical tree. We are being punished for something God knew was going to happen beforehand. God punished humanity and sent down his son to be beaten and killed for the imperfections god created us with so that we can be forgiven for the imperfections God created us with.

According to the bible, God allows evil and suffering to exist. The bible says that God is going to end evil and suffering. Why doesn't God do it now? Why would an all-loving God allow evil and suffering to exist to begin with?

God could've just simply not created the magical tree to begin with. An all-knowing God would've foreseen and could've prevented the rebellion of the devil, the fall of humanity, and the punishment that he decided to carry out. God would've foreseen and could've prevented his son from having to be beaten and killed. God would've foreseen and could've prevented all of the suffering and all of the people that will eternally suffer in hell for something that he could've prevented in the first place.

I want to know what people think about their God watching innocent children starve or being beaten, tortured, raped, stabbed, brutally murdered, etc. and not doing anything to stop or prevent it. Is it all because of some free will test? If so, why would a God that knows everything need to test people?

If God is real and created everything, he gave us limits to what we can and cannot do. If he didn't want it to be possible for a child to be skinned alive and burned to death (or whatever horrible thing you can think of that's possible) he could've made it impossible. If God didn't want anyone to burn in hell, then why make it possible? Why even create a hell? Why make up this cruel and unfair game that he knew people were going to lose to begin with? Either this God isn't real, his supposed qualities aren't true, or he's evil. I find it more logical to believe that imperfect human beings created this sick and illogical God, based on what we're capable of and based on other illogical Gods and religions we've created. When you have faith in a God or religion, you're actually putting all your faith in imperfect human beings.

Prayer is amazing isn't it? Like when your God decides to help you out when you pray for rain but not the person dieing painfully from cancer. Answered prayers are coincidences, nothing else. I could pray to Bugs Bunny and ask him to help me my entire life, and eventually Bugs Bunny is going to answer my prayers. It doesn't matter who you pray to. I challenge any religious person to try this out everyday for at least a year. Pray sincerely to Bugs Bunny and see if any of your prayers are eventually answered.

The bible and the God of the bible is man-made, and it's obvious to me. Look at how God is described in the bible. He's very human-like. He's jealous. He kills. He wants your money. He makes mistakes. He hates things that he created. He demands to be worshiped or else. He's egotistical and bad tempered. It's not surprising that humans would create a God that is more like themselves.

I think one reason why some people want a God to exist is because it gives them comfort in thinking that they have some control over life and death.

The bible is self contradicting and full of holes. Most Christians can't even agree on how to interpret it. Christians tend to interpret it based on their own desires. You'd think that the word of God wouldn't have holes or contradictions.

I think that the devil was added to the story for marketing reasons. If there's no boogeyman, no one will be afraid to disbelieve the story. The Jesus story is the kind of story that's been told for thousands of years by different religions, before Christianity existed.

Christians have always used scare tactics to try to convert people and keep them hooked. The authors and followers of the bible have used fear and guilt to control people, and the sad thing is that people are still being controlled by it to this very day.

Are you afraid of death, the devil, going to hell, angering or disappointing your family, angering or disappointing God, God not existing, or being wrong? If your answer is yes to any or all of those, then it'd be wise to question whether or not any of those fears could explain why you and millions of other people want to continue to blindly believe.

Religions were created to help comfort us with our fear of death and the unknown. Religions have been and continue to be used to control and to easily explain what we don't understand (yet). People are willing to believe and follow anything that makes them feel better about life and death.

To me, one of the worst things about Christianity and other religions is that it requires ignorance. If you blindly believe, you get to go to heaven. If you arrogantly believe your God is real and other people's Gods aren't, you get to go to heaven.

Religions aren't made to change. Religions aren't made to be questioned.

I don't know if the big bang theory is correct, but it's more believable to me than a being that needs no creator, created everything out of nothing, has always existed, is all-loving (even though he allows evil and suffering to exist, and sends people to a hell that he could've chosen not to create, for something he could've prevented), is all-knowing (even though he couldn't or chose not to prevent the fall of humanity and the suffering afterwards), is all-powerful (even though he can't or chooses not to destroy the devil), is everywhere (including the room where a child is getting raped and killed).

The bible teaches you to rely on something else instead of yourself. Fear is the main tool used in the bible to control people, and it works well. It does teach some good morals, but we don't need the bible in order to be good. There's no more proof that the Christian God exists than any other God.

I don't know if there is a God. I can admit that I don't know. Can you admit that you don't know? Or has your God threatened you if you do?
"If you've got a religious belief that withers in the face of observations of the natural world, you ought to rethink your beliefs — rethinking the world isn't an option" - P.Z. Myers
RE: God & Christianity
It's the insistance that one must 'grovel' to this deity once a week (at least) that gets to me.

Being a solitary witch is getting more and more attractive.Angel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(June 7, 2010 at 1:32 am)ShnogTrip Wrote: Why do the 10 commandments not even mention rape?

That is a great question.

As for the rest of it (and it was a doozy), I think most of us will agree with most of what you said and have said similar things ourselves. Welcome to the forums!
Quote:Why do the 10 commandments not even mention rape?

Because they were invented by men.
(June 7, 2010 at 1:32 am)ShnogTrip Wrote: To be a follower of Christianity and get to heaven you have to

1) Believe.
2) Be controlled.
3) Be afraid.
4) Believe that all of mankind has been punished for something two people did in the beginning, which is why there's evil and suffering.
5) Believe that in the end there will be no evil and suffering, meaning that God could get rid of it at any time but chooses not to.
6) Believe that God tests people even though he knows every outcome making the test pointless.
7) Believe that God sent down his son to die so that we could be forgiven for how God created us.
I agree

(June 7, 2010 at 1:32 am)ShnogTrip Wrote: We are being punished for the way God made us.
No. We are being forgiven for the way God made us.
(June 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: No. We are being forgiven for the way God made us.

That makes no sense. Why would 'he' have to forgive us for the way he made us? That's ridiculous.
Cos we're flawed - that's how we're made. And to overcome that he forgives us. I can only think we had to be that wayHuh
(June 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: That makes no sense. Why would 'he' have to forgive us for the way he made us? That's ridiculous.
We don't need to be forgiven for the way God made us but for what we have become because we have disobeyed God. Adam sinned and brought death on the whole human race and all of us have followed his example by deliberately doing what we know is wrong.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

(June 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Cos we're flawed - that's how we're made. And to overcome that he forgives us. I can only think we had to be that wayHuh

Oh, I think I get it now. He made us flawed, so he forgives us for being flawed... since it was his doing and all.

Then what's with the whole coming to earth to be murdered to save us from the way he made us? Why was that even necessary?

Oh... and let us not forget, that even though we are 'forgiven' our flaws, we must still worship him and do as he says or suffer eternal torment. Some forgiveness.
Quote:Cos we're flawed - that's how we're made. And to overcome that he forgives us. I can only think we had to be that wayHuh
---------
Quote:We don't need to be forgiven for the way God made us but for what we have become because we have disobeyed God. Adam sinned and brought death on the whole human race and all of us have followed his example by deliberately doing what we know is wrong.

You're both fucking nuts!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 3968 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22887 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5638 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27670 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6773 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Christianity violates the unity of God. Mystic 18 2704 September 11, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hostage to fear Spacetime 232 29287 July 28, 2015 at 6:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Fear your mind for it is hell urlawyer 17 3750 April 23, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7199 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Gay in not only a choice, but a mind control influence in children. Zidneya 12 3149 July 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Dystopia