Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you mind?
Would you mind?
There are a couple of lesser known but extremely important atheists who have helped pave an easier path for more atheists in their ability to be open and combat superstition and pulpit politics. Brian Sapient is owner of Rational Responders, who graciously has hosted my poetry thread on his website. On top of that he has debated Ray Comfort(aka Banana Man) on ABC's Nightline. Margaret Downey was organizer of the only atheist convention that I know of that had all 4 Horsemen, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Dennet, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali was there too, at the 07 Convention in Washington DC. I was lucky enough to get recruited to take the roll of gofer for Margaret and met all but Ayaan.

Both Brian And Margaret are still active in atheist activism but unfortunately several atheist websites they are involved in are under sever DDOS hacker attacks and need donations to help prevent those attacks. Would it be OK for me to edit this post and add the link to where people can donate?
RE: Would you mind?
Oh. This is what those theists are going on about when they talk of atheist clergy and doctrine and what all. Okay, why not? Congratulations on having met them .. I guess. Was it life changing?

Huh? No, you know I am an atheist. I was asked by Brian Sapient to help spread that link because his website and others like Celebrity Atheists have been under recent DDOS attacks. Margaret Downey has had websites she helps with  as well. Neither are atheists as famous as Dawkins or Hitchens, but are the pillars and grassroots that allowed the atheist voices to rise.
How would money stem the attacks?

Um it takes money to create a website and conversely it takes your enemies time and resources to attack you. Kim Jong Un would have no one to defend him if he had no money to pay his army.
(November 6, 2015 at 6:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Um it takes money to create a website and conversely it takes your enemies time and resources to attack you. Kim Jong Un would have no one to defend him if he had no money to pay his army.

Um, can you be specific? Their website is already created, so the money isn't spent there.

How will the money be used to defend against DDOS attacks?

(November 6, 2015 at 7:15 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(November 6, 2015 at 6:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Um it takes money to create a website and conversely it takes your enemies time and resources to attack you. Kim Jong Un would have no one to defend him if he had no money to pay his army.

Um, can you be specific? Their website is already created, so the money isn't spent there.

How will the money be used to defend against DDOS attacks?
 Ask them. I don't see what they are asking for as far as non profit donations as being any different than paying for Norton Anti Virus. I think it it as as simple as atheists in general are now on the radar. Why does this website ask for donations? If this website said the same thing I would spread a link for them as well.
(November 6, 2015 at 7:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote:  Ask them. I don't see what they are asking for as far as non profit donations as being any different than paying for Norton Anti Virus. I think it it as as simple as atheists in general are now on the radar. Why does this website ask for donations? If this website said the same thing I would spread a link for them as well.

If the CIA can't prevent being hacked, I don't see how a few dollars more would prevent a DDOS attack on some private site. Honestly, I'm not the one to mind or don't mind. That's up to the mods or admins, but when I donate it's to something like doctors without borders.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
They should sign up for CloudFlare which is free and provides protection from DDOS attacks, which is what this site does.
Brian Sapient asked me to post this about cost issues. 
Quote:"In the past we have posted receipts, and very specific details as to how our money is spent.  In cases where we are purchasing services to thwart attackers, it is counter-intuitive to post receipts and proofs of spending.  I will also not divulge exactly how we are spending money, or hope to spend money with more money raised, for the same reason.  If my history isn't enough to warrant a little trust on this issue, that's fine I understand.  But this isn't the issue that I want to use to try and gain anyone's trust.  Thanks to anyone who considers donating.

To the people asking about $3,000 in damages.  I am merely trying to raise funds to have all options at our disposal.  This was a catch-all donation request designed to show attackers that they made us stronger.  That hasn't worked.  As for Cloudflare costs, advanced DDoS protection is $200 per month per site (of which we have at least 3 we'd want to protect).  Maybe that gives some perspective.  Free service helps, but it is not a complete solution by any stretch.  Our site is very 2008, it's needed an overhaul for a while.  I only wish I didn't have to work, had three assistants, or the $10,000 a development company would charge to overhaul them.   The folks who are portraying the cost of site ownership as zero are being silly."