Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist and Christmas
Atheist and Christmas
Atheist and Christmas

I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way and if they allow their kids to?

We have a man here that he and his family deck out their property with lights and such just no religion to it. Yes they exchange gifts.

So was wondering how other atheist did it?
RE: Atheist and Christmas
Christmas has always been a good time of year for me. (Except for that one year I was expecting to get a Cabbage Patch Kid, but didn't  Sad )
So, yes, even as an atheist I still celebrate Christmas. Good food, good wine, good friends and family. Love the color scheme.
I just wish Christmas would stay the hell out of October.  Angry
I strongly emphasize the worship of Mammon during the Christmas season.

Spending money I don't have on shit I can't afford and don't need !!! Go baby Jesus, gimme them Black Friday bargains !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes we celebrate Christmas. There isn't any moral dilemma. The tree, the food, and the presents, are all secular. But honestly I don't really care, we have angels on the tree and I have a New Mexican creche. We have read a Christmas Carol out loud. Tradition and belief are not synonymous.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 10, 2015 at 2:13 pm)MattB Wrote: Atheist and Christmas

I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way and if they allow their kids to?

We have a man here that he and his family deck out their property with lights and such just no religion to it.  Yes they exchange gifts.

So was wondering how other atheist did it?

I might put a filthy Sanchez on Joseph in the nativity at St. Pauls this year, if that helps.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We celebrate Christmas in my house in a secular manner. What's not to like about peace on Earth, good will towards men?

(November 10, 2015 at 2:13 pm)MattB Wrote: So was wondering how other atheist did it?

Same.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I play xmas carols so often and so early that it has become the subject of ridicule by my stepson .. who is a priest in the church of woo. We have people to dinner xmas eve and exchange stocking gifts with my brother's family. But no more gifts under the tree .. and no tree unless I think of something we can use in the garden after and can get it live.

I'm ambivalent about xmas. In itself it means nothing to me. But experience has shown it to be a good time to connect with family and friends.
I celebrate it in the modern sense. I meet up with family, we have a big dinner the night before, we wake up early to unbox presents, etc. My family as a whole isn't really religious, so I don't recall ever going to church on Christmas or celebrating it in the Christian sense. We don't even talk about Jesus or Bible shit.
Where I live is a nice occasion to eat food with friends and drink good wine. It is more important than the religion they try to shoehorn into that simple act of socializing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2319 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Christmas grace Rahn127 5 1277 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25884 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7031 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14595 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Christmas Songs Divinity 45 7812 December 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1598 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Christmas Sludgeman101 21 3298 May 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4180 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheists at Christmas Wunsbee 55 13799 December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin