Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Differences
Religious Differences
Quote:Got this from another forum, i know most of us on here are Atheists but just a quick though, how many people on here believe in god or follow a religion as there is many factors to suggest god did not exist.

Got this from Myfootballforum.com.

Do you believe that or not?
RE: Religious Differences
i believe in God and am a muslim Smile
I believe in gods. Every god ever postulated has existed within the minds of its followers. Christian apologists like to say, "Do you believe in happiness/love/beauty," and then try to equate those things with their god by saying you can't prove their god's existence just like you can't prove that happiness, love, and beauty exist.

You can measure the effects of all of those things though. You can do a scan on the brain and see various regions light up when subjected to happy, loving, or beautiful stimuli. This also works with religious stimuli.

So, I believe that all gods are just as real as love, beauty, and joy, but I believe that the word god simply means a very specific type of brain damage.

Brain damage definitely exists.
Humanity has an almost limitless capacity for self-delusion.
(June 15, 2010 at 6:25 am)British_Atheist Wrote:
Quote:Got this from another forum, i know most of us on here are Atheists but just a quick though, how many people on here believe in god or follow a religion as there is many factors to suggest god did not exist.

That chaps grammer is worse than mine!!!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Without seeing the "factors that god doesn't exist" I would have no say on it whatsoever. However Braden do you really believe choice to believe in a religion is simply brain damage?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I agree with you, tack.

I think it is more of a "personality flaw!"
Because you're personality isn't flawed at all, right you grumpy old codger? Tongue Big Grin wait nvm I should respect my elders Smile
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm)tackattack Wrote: Because you're personality isn't flawed at all, right you grumpy old codger? Tongue Big Grin wait nvm I should respect my elders Smile

God damn right, you should!

[Image: oldtimer.gif]
(June 15, 2010 at 6:25 am)British_Atheist Wrote:

Got this from Myfootballforum.com.

Do you believe that or not?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if we believe this part: "there is many factors to suggest god did not exist"? If so, I kind of agree with what I think was being said... I think. There are many things that suggest that no god needs to exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion vs Cult - What are the differences? IanHulett 29 6233 February 5, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32910 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope