Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What/Who created God?
What created God?
I've been giving this one some thought.

Here's what I've found:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics...d_god.html

"How does God acting before time began get around the problem of God's creation? There are two possible interpretations of these verses. One is that God exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and effect would never apply to His existence."

This makes no sense at all.

God does not operate under cause and effect, as he is timeless, but he willed something into existence,which is something that only works as a causal construct.

It all sounds like a case of special pleading to me.

I'd like to hear the best explanation of why an infinite regress is not possible, and preferably one that does not negate the qualities or necessity of the God in question at the same time.
RE: What created God?
It's their fairy tale. They can write whatever they like.
(June 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm)tavarish Wrote: I've been giving this one some thought.

Here's what I've found:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics...d_god.html

"How does God acting before time began get around the problem of God's creation? There are two possible interpretations of these verses. One is that God exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and effect would never apply to His existence."

This makes no sense at all.

God does not operate under cause and effect, as he is timeless, but he willed something into existence,which is something that only works as a causal construct.

It all sounds like a case of special pleading to me.

I'd like to hear the best explanation of why an infinite regress is not possible, and preferably one that does not negate the qualities or necessity of the God in question at the same time.

It's absolutely special pleading - one of the three that all theological arguments boil down to, Ignorance, wishful thinking and special pleading.
So yea. Any theists wanna chime in?
The answer is: no one. God has existed for all eternity and He will exist for all eternity. His existence is beyond space and time as we humble people can perceive it. He is all knowing and all powerful in past, present and future.
(June 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm)Pastor Ezequiel Davis Wrote: The answer is: no one. God has existed for all eternity and He will exist for all eternity. His existence is beyond space and time as we humble people can perceive it. He is all knowing and all powerful in past, present and future.
How did you verify all this? Or are you just another mystery lover that'll believe anything without evidence for it?

And if god can exist forever than why can't nature?

Take your time, do some praying, curse me to hell with all what's in you, but just don't make it circular. I hate circular.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm)Pastor Ezequiel Davis Wrote: The answer is: no one. God has existed for all eternity and He will exist for all eternity. His existence is beyond space and time as we humble people can perceive it. He is all knowing and all powerful in past, present and future.

And you know this because?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It says so in the Bible...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(June 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm)Darwinian Wrote: It says so in the Bible...
Are you feeling circular today...?!
Boy, how I hate that.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

i think you should have read it more clearly.

How is a being that exists in no-space and no-time distinguishable from one that doesn't exist?

How do you know he exists if humans can't perceive him?

Do you realize what you said makes zero sense?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I've Created a New Religion Rhondazvous 11 1767 October 12, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: chimp3
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20893 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19412 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Who created god? smax 29 7311 May 7, 2013 at 4:26 am
Last Post: smax
  When was evil created? Baalzebutt 26 6882 April 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God created the world in 7 days. Define "Day" Cerrone 45 18204 September 24, 2010 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Was at least the first life form created? rjh4 is back 102 51926 November 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb