Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Artful Codgers
The Artful Codgers
A most entertaining documentary last night, about the greatest [known] art forger of all time.

A boring,uneducated, middle aged man,living with his parents in a two-up- two down in Bolton,England, Sean Greenhalgh, fooled expert dealers and museum curators for nearly two decades.

His elderly father was the mastermind, telling him what to make, then selling the brand new antiquities.

His most famous creation is 'The Bolton Amrna Princess', but he made dozens of other pieces,many recognised as brilliant in their own right.

Quote:The Amarna Princess, sometimes referred to as the "Bolton Amarna Princess", is a statue forged by British art forger Shaun Greenhalgh and sold by his father to Bolton Museum for £440,000 in 2003. Based on the Amarna art-style of ancient Egypt, the purchase of the Amarna Princess was feted as a "coup" by the museum and it remained on display for three years.[1] However, in November 2005, Greenhalgh was brought under suspicion by Scotland Yard's Arts and Antiquities Unit, and the statue was impounded for further examination in March 2006.[2] Now that the Greenhalghs have been convicted, the museum hopes to recover the Amarna Princess and plans then to redisplay it for a public viewing.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarna_Princess

I've linked the full programme,but I'm not sure if it will play outside of Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?series=2930...es/2930139
RE: The Artful Codgers
The sad thing is, is that this man is a brilliant artist in his own right.

Yet has to resort to forgery to sell his work.

Whereas wankers like Jackson Pollock and Ken Done get paid fortunes for the childish crap they produce.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.