Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to identify as a feminist
I would like to identify as a feminist
What's stopping me you might ask? Well for one, I'm not really sure what the definition of feminism is. All I know is that the feminists I've talked to agree on some things. Very pro race, pro multiculturalism, pro gay, pro trans, looking at gender as a spectrum and not binary, all very good liberal ideas that I also align with. I have started to question my stance on modern day feminism, which there seems to be a lot of misperceptions about. On one hand modern day feminists don't seem to know that there's a counter movement, which looks at the radicals of feminism today and doesn't back it up by saying that there's rational feminists too.

I've followed people like shoeonhead, sargon of akkad, and the amazing atheist, who for years filled my head with ideas that feminism was trash; these are people who I thought I could trust. I'm starting to question these points of view, because I think I would rather stand in solidarity with rational feminists, instead of against a movement that seems to have a lot of ideas that I could align myself with too. I find it difficult to just straight up get behind any movement, because it's multi faceted in it's views and I am too. I'm having a difficult time deciding who's side that i'm on. I was surprised that the feminists in the "why are there so many atheist anti feminists thread" weren't on my side when I was arguing with them.
RE: I would like to identify as a feminist
I thought feminism just meant equal rights for women that the men get.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 30, 2015 at 4:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I thought feminism just meant equal rights for women that the men get.

Idk, it seems to have snowballed into something else these days.
Those people are against feminists who take it way too far. I've seen a woman write that men can rape women by farting too loud. But regular everyday feminism is very much ok with it's strive for emancipation without doing extreme things (like those women running around in the streets with exposed boobs screaming 'i wear what i want')
whatever floats your goat
(November 30, 2015 at 4:26 pm)Sappho Wrote: Those people are against feminists who take it way too far. I've seen a woman write that men can rape women by farting too loud. But regular everyday feminism is very much ok with it's strive for emancipation without doing extreme things (like those women running around in the streets with exposed boobs screaming 'i wear what i want')

Yeah, I just feel mislead. The people who I trust who've given me these perspectives on feminism neglected to mention that there's rational people in modern feminism. Like Catholic Lady said, I'm not sure why people use feminism as an umbrella term for all these other rights movements for marginalized people, when the term feminism implies rights for women that only men have. It's very mind fucky, I've called myself an egalitarian before because that seems more fair, or the word humanist, I dunno. I need guidance with these strange ideologies, if I'm going to understand and let alone follow them.
(November 30, 2015 at 4:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I thought feminism just meant equal rights for women that the men get.

That's the ideal.

Unfortunately, like any movement, there are extremists and those who oppose even the basic rights for others.
Dying to live, living to die.
You seem to have come to a realization: That most movements have their fringe elements, but it doesn't negate the fact that the movement itself may uphold a very noble or worthy cause.
(November 30, 2015 at 4:41 pm)Thena323 Wrote: You seem to have come to a realization: That most movements have their fringe elements, but it doesn't negate the fact that the movement itself may uphold a very noble or worthy cause.

Well, I knew that. I was just under the impression that these intelligent people who I respect are telling me feminism is crap, I went with it. I don't really know what to do about that, I feel uninformed and vulnerable to being misinformed. I'm not really sure what to think right now. I was listening to anthony fantano, the famous music reviewer gives some opinions on modern day feminists, on his this is the plan channel. I thought he made some valid points.
The word "feminism" has been tainted by the extremists in the movement, so I no longer feel comfortable calling myself one in case someone misconstrues my meaning. I prefer the term "egalitarian", which basically means someone who believes all people are equal and deserve equal rights, regardless of any differences.
(November 30, 2015 at 5:17 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The word "feminism" has been tainted by the extremists in the movement, so I no longer feel comfortable calling myself one in case someone misconstrues my meaning. I prefer the term "egalitarian", which basically means someone who believes all people are equal and deserve equal rights, regardless of any differences.

Ah, I'm glad to see you agree. I've been calling me that too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When it comes to the afterlife and the meaning of life, what do you identify as? CleanShavenJesus 16 5904 May 28, 2013 at 4:24 am
Last Post: littleendian
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3997 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  What philosopher do you most identify with? The Skeptic 28 11765 January 11, 2011 at 8:03 am
Last Post: muhtesem insan