Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logical fallacies and concept of a soul
Logical fallacies and concept of a soul
I was browsing atheism articles on google news and fell upon this gem of an article, riddled with not only bad grammar but a shit ton of fallacies, so I figured it would be fun to run through and point out the fallacies in an article of my own.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8776-Boston-At...-of-a-soul

Let me know what you think!
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Logical fallacies and concept of a soul
Quote:The simple fact is the vast majority of the greatest scientists have all have concluded that there must be a God in one form or the other. Most have concluded that we do, in fact, have souls. They have concluded that science itself supports this determination.”

Typical Creationist/Apologetic f-tards slang......

After reading that quote, I almost threw up a little....Tongue
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(June 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm)Samson Wrote:
Quote:The simple fact is the vast majority of the greatest scientists have all have concluded that there must be a God in one form or the other. Most have concluded that we do, in fact, have souls. They have concluded that science itself supports this determination.”

Typical Creationist/Apologetic f-tards slang......

After reading that quote, I almost threw up a little....Tongue

Yeah, it is a bit painful to read, but when I decided to approach it looking for the fallacies, it made it easier to read, because it was like a test.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I liked it, but my soul reported you.

Oopsie.

Smile
(June 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: I was browsing atheism articles on google news and fell upon this gem of an article, riddled with not only bad grammar but a shit ton of fallacies, so I figured it would be fun to run through and point out the fallacies in an article of my own.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8776-Boston-At...-of-a-soul

Let me know what you think!
Good article Eilonnwy!

For me the real gem in the first quote you present is in the last sentence "They have concluded that science itself supports this determination". The author seems to think that determinism enables the soul while causal determinism is what rules out the soul as an acausal source of freewill.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
What sickens me to no end, is the constant phrase use by Creationist of; "Most Scientist says", "Most Scientist have concluded", Vast Majority of the greatest Scientist" etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't sicken me of it's personal use within themselves believing such nonsense or even when talking to other people who believe the same ignorance.
It's that they preach this shit to kids, along with, trying to put this same bullshit within school text books.

I'll step off my soap box for now, because I know it will lead to me posting paragraphs and paragraphs...Tongue
(June 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm)Samson Wrote: What sickens me to no end, is the constant phrase use by Creationist of; "Most Scientist says", "Most Scientist have concluded", Vast Majority of the greatest Scientist" etc. etc. etc.

Welcome to "Weasel Words 101".
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(June 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm)Samson Wrote: What sickens me to no end, is the constant phrase use by Creationist of; "Most Scientist says", "Most Scientist have concluded", Vast Majority of the greatest Scientist" etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't sicken me of it's personal use within themselves believing such nonsense or even when talking to other people who believe the same ignorance.
It's that they preach this shit to kids, along with, trying to put this same bullshit within school text books.

I'll step off my soap box for now, because I know it will lead to me posting paragraphs and paragraphs...Tongue

I can't read the link in the OP for some reason, but I would like to. But back to this post, do they even mention a single name? I mean, hell, they could at least throw around Aristotle, notwithstanding that A) Aristotle's concept of the soul is radically different from the Christian idea of the soul, B) As intelligent as Aristotle was, not everything he stated was the case, and C) Aristotle was living two millenia ago.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Rev, just as Jay stated, it's the typical 101 of their argument...

It's the: "We'll throw it around to everyone", but we shouldn't have to mention a name, because I have a degree in English or American History, so that should count for some kind of Scientific background knowledge......LOL

For F's sake, I'm a Chemist and don't have as much credit as some doofball creationist here in the South.....I may not be a Scientist, per se, but at least I recognize the fundamental differences in a world that is claimed to be 6000 years old, and a world that is 4.5 billion......
Very good article, Eilonnwy.

Its always satisfying to see someone applying their philosophical scalpel to dissect the bullshit that theists try to pass off as philosophy.

Well done.Big Grin
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche