Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you feel about the death penalty?
How do you feel about the death penalty?
Not really sure if this goes here or somewhere else, but given the number of people in the US that are currently sitting on Death Row, I'm curious to know what people here think about the death penalty. I'm also curious to know, if you're for it, how long should someone be on Death Row before they are put to death. The appeals process can take months, even years to exhaust and pardons by a governor aren't always promised. Would these individuals deserve to have their appeals bumped to the top of the list for the sake of timeliness?

There's also the possibility of a wrongful conviction based on DNA evidence that wasn't discovered before. Don't forget to think about the yearly costs of keeping someone in prison, death row or otherwise. The High Cost of Prisons: Using Scarce Resources Wisely  How much does it cost to put a person to death once their time is up?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: How do you feel about the death penalty?
Killing people for killing people because killing people is bad seems a tad confused to me, doesn't it to you?
Yes, but clearly there's more to it than that, right?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Revenge?
By the government? I'd have to say no. If the person is in prison, on Death Row, it's because they had to go through the legal system to get there. I mean, it "could" be revenge, but the judicial system is supposed to treat all defendants as innocent before proven guilty, right?
'Your crimes are so heinous that I can only issue the most severe penalty: the tax payers will cover your costs of living, but only for what is potentially a shorter period of time.'
(December 5, 2015 at 7:13 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: 'Your crimes are so heinous that I can only issue the most severe penalty: the tax payers will cover your costs of living, but only for what is potentially a shorter period of time.'

Which is proven to be a moot argument, since capital cases cost the tax payer more than life imprisonment. There are a lot of moot arguments surrounding the death penalty. It doesn't deter crimes, it isn't cheaper and sometimes innocents are killed.

I guess that covers it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 5, 2015 at 8:43 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 5, 2015 at 7:13 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: 'Your crimes are so heinous that I can only issue the most severe penalty: the tax payers will cover your costs of living, but only for what is potentially a shorter period of time.'

Which is proven to be a moot argument, since capital cases cost the tax payer more than life imprisonment. There are a lot of moot arguments surrounding the death penalty. It doesn't deter crimes, it isn't cheaper and sometimes innocents are killed.

I guess that covers it.

So not even a net saving, and not only that but a net loss. Well, colour me mistaken, turns out it's even more retarded then I had assumed.
(December 5, 2015 at 8:43 am)abaris Wrote:

I guess that covers it.

Not quite. It's applied inconsistently and unfairly too. It's depraved and barbaric. It has no place in a civilized society. People need to grow up and get over their primitive need for revenge.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
No, governments should not have the right to kill any person they want in the name of "justice".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you feel loved? Cod 46 3024 October 16, 2019 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Cod
  How do you honestly feel about younger people complaining about being old? Foxaèr 30 4946 May 6, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Ever feel like you don't belong in this world? Foxaèr 44 4803 April 3, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Just out of curiosity, does this song make you feel uncomfortable? orthodox-man 7 1049 February 23, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Does Anyone Else Ever Feel Like This...? Edwardo Piet 14 2237 November 17, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2137 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
  Talkativeness and Rambling... how do you feel about it? Edwardo Piet 29 1842 February 8, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Anyone else start to feel like they're going insane when they get tired? EruptedCarcassBloat 9 1525 October 11, 2016 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Five things that will make you feel happier straightaway FebruaryOfReason 21 4266 April 14, 2016 at 2:06 pm
  I just feel like showing off... Spooky 62 5270 September 27, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus