Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns, and my most recent Facebook Post.
Guns, and my most recent Facebook Post.
To my Atheist friends,

Many of you are Anti-Gun, in fact, both in real life and online I've noticed that a very large percentage of Atheists seem to be quite anti-gun. Which is fine. We're all free thinkers and that's why I like you. Hive mind is boring.

But when I hear Anti-Gun, what I'm really hearing is Anti-Violence. I'll go on record as saying that I am, for the most part, Anti-Violence. I am however, decidedly not a pacifist. If you make an attempt on mine or my wife's life, you can expect an equal-or greater-and opposite reaction.

The NRA is fucking ridiculous. There, I said it. I don't believe every citizen should be allowed to have any gun. I'd be kicked out of the club for saying such a thing, but to be so vehemently against hearing anybody else's opinion is just not the way. They're extremists, and it saddens me that that's the best some pro-gun people will have.

In the case for guns, I ask you:

What is the purpose of a weapon?

Most people's first answer to that question is "Duh, to kill...". This answer is simply wrong. The purpose of a weapon?

To gain an Advantage.

While some guns are designed as weapons, so are many knives, vehicles, and even pens. (Benchmade has some interesting weaponized pens). Nobody picks up a Gun, Knife, Chair, Baseball bat, etc. because they're looking for a fair fight. The Drill Instructors in Basic told me "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you fucked up".

I shot competitive trap back home, the purpose of my shotgun was to break little clay disks. I owned a .22 rifle, its purpose was to punch holes in paper and the occasional aluminum can. The .243's purpose was to hunt deer. (And kill them in a much more humane manner than many meat packing plants can boast). Somebody living in Alaska/Montana/Utah/Colorado might own a firearm to protect themselves and their family from Bears. (Pepper/Bear spray may not be 100% effective). Yes there is a extra requirement of attention and maturity required for firearms lest you put yourself or your family in danger, but the same could be said of cars, boats, and medications. (And a myriad of other things) I don't have any statistics at the ready, but I'd hazard a guess that Cars, Boats, & over the counter medications such as aspirin individually account for a comparable number of accidental deaths.

The KABAR knife I kept in my car? Kept solely for its potential to give me an advantage. Honestly the only "weapons" I own are my knives. I tend to carry them more, and not just to open my mail.

The recent firearms related tragedies we've seen in the news are just that...tragic. I won't argue that. It's terrible, and in my opinion, possibly preventable. But banning guns outright is simplistic and simply wont solve this problem.

Take it from somebody your government gave formal training to in order kill his fellow man. We're fragile creatures, a couple holes in the goo and you're meeting -insert belief system here-. Taking away one method, isn't really going to do much to stop us from ending each other. (Sadly)

The Boston Marathon? No firearms involved if I recall. What's the purpose of a pressure cooker? I thought it was to make soup. My affiliation with the US Army Ordnance Corps should mean something when I tell you that bombs are stupid easy to make. (And scare the shit out of me). Ban guns? Sure. Ban pressure cookers? Good luck. Mass killings are an unfortunate side effect of our population and the prevalence of mental illness. (Or religion, but they're pretty much the same thing.) I will grant you that guns can make such things easier, and no, I don't mean high capacity magazine. Accuracy is more important than capacity any day. I will mention that a janitor in Osaka Japan did a better job in 2001 with a kitchen knife then some americans I've seen with guns. (no ninja jokes)

Is there an answer or a cure to this need some of us have to kill each other? Possibly, but I don't have it. But I will say we're going to have a bitch of a time stopping it. And that if guns were banned outright, gun deaths would quite logically go down, but some other methods would without question go up.
I am Pro-Gun and Anti-Violence. I do not believe these to be mutually exclusive.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: Guns, and my most recent Facebook Post.
I don't think the American government is up to enforcing the kind of regulation that would allow to keep guns and keep people safe at the same time.
You could make the case that its not a gun issue, its a mental health issue. Alright, fine. Yes. However guns make it alot easier to kill people and we're shit at handling mental health issues. Theres only so much you can do and even if we had a handle on it getting rid of guns would still help alleviate the ease with which extreme violence is perpetrated. Have you ever tried to stab someone to death? Its actually alot harder than you would imagine. There have been people who have been stabbed like 20 times in the back and torso and still survived. Even if you are an expert and know how to access all the vital areas with ease its still nowhere near as efficient as a firearm.
Like Jim Jerfferies says theres only one legitimate reason to be pro-gun; "Fuck off, I like guns. Sad"
Its not going to win any debates but its the best you've got.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(December 5, 2015 at 7:07 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: 1. I don't think the American government is up to enforcing the kind of regulation that would allow to keep guns and keep people safe at the same time.
You could make the case that its not a gun issue, its a mental health issue. Alright, fine. Yes. However guns make it alot easier to kill people and we're shit at handling mental health issues. Theres only so much you can do and even if we had a handle on it getting rid of guns would still help alleviate the ease with which extreme violence is perpetrated. 2. Have you ever tried to stab someone to death? Its actually alot harder than you would imagine. There have been people who have been stabbed like 20 times in the back and torso and still survived. Even if you are an expert and know how to access all the vital areas with ease its still nowhere near as efficient as a firearm.
3. Like Jim Jerfferies says theres only one legitimate reason to be pro-gun; "Fuck off, I like guns. Sad"
Its not going to win any debates but its the best you've got.

1. Not sure what to say, I'm not a 100% believer in the US Government either.  "Keeping people safe" is a little abstract though.  There's plenty of things that will kill you.  Again, I haven't any statistics for you, but I doubt guns top the list.

2. Yes I have.

3. I sincerely hope that isn't the best the pro-gun population has.  Telling somebody to fuck off is no way to have a conversation.

I've owned many guns, and shot many thousands of rounds without issue.  I may be biased due to experience and training, but cars (and the people who drive them) scare me more than guns.
(December 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm)Spooky Wrote: I am Pro-Gun and Anti-Violence. I do not believe these to be mutually exclusive.

What's the sole purpose of a gun again?
(December 5, 2015 at 7:15 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(December 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm)Spooky Wrote: I am Pro-Gun and Anti-Violence. I do not believe these to be mutually exclusive.

What's the sole purpose of a gun again?

To fire a lead projectile at high speed.
(December 5, 2015 at 7:15 pm)Napoléon Wrote: What's the sole purpose of a gun again?

Shooting clay disks, I heard. Clay disks used to be a real menace before guns were invented. Good job, guns... Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjhTEqzKo0Q

Quite a lot of fun. I hear many cases of injury in the news for football related injuries, haven't heard one lately for Trap Shooting incidents.
(December 5, 2015 at 7:16 pm)Spooky Wrote: To fire a lead projectile at high speed.

To what end?
I think we are more afraid of each other than we need to be. I also think that the sheer biomass of guns present in this country cause people to die who would not otherwise die if there were not so many guns around. I get what you are saying about advantage, but I think the current trend of having a handgun to protect ourselves is nothing less than crazy. We are not the police and we do not live in a war zone.

If you are in a mass shooting situation, are you going to be able to identify the gunman? Are you sure? Will it be the guy with body armor and the bandoliers across his chest? Or will you see a guy just like you with a gun? I just don't buy the personal protection thing in that situation.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did guns or vaccines save more lives in 2021? FlatAssembler 94 7889 January 27, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  No More Guns Foxaèr 75 5214 August 1, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2159 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7822 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 10078 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bringing out the big guns. onlinebiker 24 1648 August 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Do ( D )s sell more guns than ( R )s? onlinebiker 170 12720 February 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  My view regarding guns in the USA as a foreigner. Macoleco 41 2941 March 12, 2018 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My theory on all this recent Xenophobia NuclearEnergy 27 5883 June 8, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Your friends on Facebook who are avid Trump supporters. How do you deal with them? NuclearEnergy 2 1047 June 2, 2017 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr