Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:01 am

Poll: Is anything real?
This poll is closed.
Yes
93.33%
14 93.33%
No
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think the universe is real?
Do you think the universe is real?
I know, strange question. Make what you will of it.
RE: Do you think the universe is real?
Universe shmuniverse.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Also, do you ever wonder why is there a universe to begin with? Or do you think that sort of question is pointless?
I always wonder why there is a universe to begin with. I especially have trouble understanding where the universe is expanding into. My brain needs all the information, in order to understand a subject, which makes questions about the universe particularly difficult for me to get my head around. This learning style works really well in the workplace; however, it's useless when it comes to the questions of life, the universe and everything. 42, in that respect, is as good an answer as any for me.
(December 13, 2015 at 9:21 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I know, strange question. Make what you will of it.

Of course it's real.  The question is what is it, exactly?  It's a real word, representing real ideas and experiences.

Maybe you mean, "Is the universe real, as we conceive it?"  And I'd say, no, probably not.
Gambit,

looking at the maths of general relativity, one finds that it doesn't need to expand into anything. In fact, one could think of it as space being fixed, and all physical rulers within it shrinking.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Don't care. I'm pragmatically assuming it is so I can function more or less normally.
I don't wonder in the same way about life, particularly because evolution explains that very well. I wonder if the whole mistery about the universe will disappear in a similar fashion once we completely understand how it came to be/how it operates. But I don't know, it's a strange notion - is it even possible to figure everything out? I feel like there's a paradox hiding in there, somewhere. After all, you're a part of the cosmos, how could you possibly figure it out? And even if you did, where would you turn from there? It's a depressing thought.
Now you've got me thinking about knowing everything. I imagine, even if that was possible, it would drive a person insane. Doctor Who touched on the subject, somewhat, with the character "Me." She was an immortal human with a finite brain, which meant that she forgot much of her lifetime. This also brings me back to my favourite stoner troll: Try to think of nothing. Ask that question of a room full of stoners and watch their heads explode.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=JT0zjorR68A

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1308 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11402 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18990 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2065 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Just read this and tell me what you think. rary 75 9648 June 3, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Conscious Universe FallentoReason 327 43886 February 14, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Does the universe care? Logisch 24 4470 July 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Living Universe, Buddhism, Etc. Etc. hppavilion 5 1823 June 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: naimless
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6469 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Is There A Real You? Rayaan 22 4941 May 10, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape