Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on new Star Wars (No Spoilers, I Promise)
Thoughts on new Star Wars (No Spoilers, I Promise)
I won't give anything away, but I will say that the new Star Wars film is epic. It's not as good as Empire or the 4th one, but it's better than the Prequels and Episode 6. It's not a perfect movie, and I will say that the prequels did the lightsaber duels better, and the villain... kinda Disney-ish but not too bad. Overall I like it, even if some ass hole spoiled something big in the film for me.
RE: Thoughts on new Star Wars (No Spoilers, I Promise)
It was mostly mindless, formulaic action fantasy, done heavy handedly, and quite unremittingly exploitatively.   The best compliment I can give is it was not quite as bad in absolute magnitude of awefulness as reboot Star Trek, but still pretty much bad in all the same ways as reboot Star Trek.
(December 19, 2015 at 2:50 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: It was mostly mindless, formulaic action fantasy, done heavy handedly, and quite unremittingly exploitatively.   The best compliment I can give is it was not quite as bad in absolute magnitude of awefulness as reboot Star Trek, but still pretty much bad in all the same ways as reboot Star Trek.

When you look at the original Star Wars films, they are in many ways in the same boat. Yeah the effects were certainly groundbreaking for the time, but come on, the acting and plot lines are rather cheesy. The original films were adventure movies made for kids, so what did you expect with the new film? Basically it was a re-hash of Episode 4 in almost everything that it did, but it still did a good job at it.
The first Star Wars was no great work of cinematic craft, but it still contained some well crafted aspects.   The mystique around the republic, the Jedi and the force was subtle and effective.   The menace of the empire was also pervasive without being all cartoonish. The landscape was effective in helping the atmosphere.

The new movie had none of this, except by accidentally through copying of some visual cues from the old one.  

Old Star Wars was a loud movie with some subtleties, the new one a cacophonous one without any.

Worst of all, the new villain, Kylo ren, strives to be mean without conveying any menace. His master an ambodiment of the crypt, not of evil.
I'm waiting for it to be available for free to watch on a certain site. Shouldn't be long.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Don't they essentially have a new deathstar in it?
I mean... thats pretty lazy writing. Is the only epic danger in this universe from giant planet destroying spaceships?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Yes, another Death Star,   This time it is innovatively restyled as "star killer".   Oh, yes, just in case the menace is not clear, there is side by side pictures of the Death Star and star killer, right in the movie, to give you the picture.

Much bigger size and trees growing on its surface not withstanding, you can still kill it with a tiny little fighter, of course.   You would think after losing 2 Death Stars to little fighters, the third, evidently much more capital intensive than the first two, would have featured a tighter defense.

The whole thing has a trade mark jar jar Abrams, stupid but acting smugly cleaver air to it, just like nasty aliens in the reboot Star Trek.
As you may have seen in other threads I also thought it was really good.

I think it's just guys with AF handles that start with the letter "A" that don't like it Tongue
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Don't get me wrong, I think it was not even bad. Tongue
(December 19, 2015 at 11:16 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: As you may have seen in other threads I also thought it was really good.

I think it's just guys with AF handles that start with the letter "A" that don't like it Tongue

Like Asshole McGee?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avatar III. (Spoilers) Gawdzilla Sama 3 694 January 13, 2023 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1067 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1969 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Star Trek Picard - Teaser Fake Messiah 60 6020 October 7, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6442 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Fantastic Beasts speculation thread. (Spoilers ongoing) Gawdzilla Sama 4 296 March 17, 2019 at 7:31 am
  Thoughts on these art exhibits. brewer 16 1223 February 14, 2019 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Star Trek Voyager S04 E05 - Revulsion Duty 11 670 January 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Anyone seen: Solo, the new Star Wars cash cow wanna-be Whateverist 65 6537 May 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 13079 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am