Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to introduce people to Atheism?
Ways to introduce people to Atheism?
How do you educate others about Atheism? I know that it has a negative connotation which is why I try to say skepticism, etc.

Also, how should one go about in talking to his parents about his beliefs? I'm in a deeply Christian part of Texas and I'm not quite sure if I should "preach" Atheism or just let everyone live in their delusion... Help! Big Grin
RE: Ways to introduce people to Atheism?
Tell them to come and meet the lovely people of AF.org. Perfect introduction. We kick ass here.
I would tell them that I don't think there is a God and that I suspect that their reasons for believing in one are not really sound. Alas, this conversation never happens because no one really cares all that much about religion around here.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 23, 2015 at 5:13 pm)Quantum Wrote: I would tell them that I don't think there is a God and that I suspect that their reasons for believing in one are not really sound. Alas, this conversation never happens because no one really cares all that much about religion around here.

Yes, but would you agree or disagree that we need to educate about the bs of religion?
(December 23, 2015 at 5:14 pm)Veritas Wrote:
(December 23, 2015 at 5:13 pm)Quantum Wrote: I would tell them that I don't think there is a God and that I suspect that their reasons for believing in one are not really sound. Alas, this conversation never happens because no one really cares all that much about religion around here.

Yes, but would you agree or disagree that we need to educate about the bs of religion?

In general yes, and in some places in particular. But most everyone in my vicinity already sems to know that.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm a strong believer in situational violence: hit them with a copy of God is NOT Great, by Hitchens.
Dying to live, living to die.
Oh Lordy, TEXAS?
They lynch atheists in Texas, boy.
Ya better be careful now.

Undecided

Just don't get confrontational.  Keep it light.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I guess my way would be to make friends with someone first. Once they find out you're just a regular guy, and maybe pretty cool too, then you can safely bring up religion. they'll either realize that atheist does not equal bad person and be open to conversation, or they'll cut off all contact with you. If they were going to do that, it was likely inevitable anyway, so might as well get it over with.

Just talk about atheism like you would any other topic. Calmly and friendly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If these are conversations you feel you must have IRL, you might start by pointing out to them that they too are atheists when it comes to the thousands of other gods humans have believed in, worshipped, and sacrificed to. The difference between you and them is that you disbelieve in just one more god than they do, and for most of the same reasons they reject those thousands of gods. They indulge in special pleading to give their god a pass they don't give to the others.

And when they start spouting the Bible at you as "proof" of their god, just remind them that the Bible (or Koran or whatever holy book is appropriate to the specific conversation) is the claim, not the evidence for the claim.
You're welcome to check out my website here to see if you might find something useful. Others have found it handy when approaching the subject. I also have links on there to lots of other atheism related material.

Really, it's often about explaining how little there is to atheism. It's got so misunderstood that everyone bolts on their own made-up stuff to the term, causing confusion and stigma.

Scepticism, like you say, is really the more important position and one that has a lot more to actually talk about.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 904 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1939 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Amending my Good and Kindly ways The Valkyrie 27 5078 September 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27095 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I'm sick of hearing about the "Five Ways"! Asmodee 46 7764 January 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Free Will -- the "materialist string" pulls both ways. Jehanne 28 6473 April 4, 2016 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12466 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12135 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10474 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  How many ways can I fuck up my life? Gambit 11 4378 August 2, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Gambit