Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In need of a book suggestion
In need of a book suggestion
I need a book, or even a good website that can help a Christian understand atheism. So much I see just trashes Christianity and that's not what I want to do I just want to show how my world makes sense with no god.

Any one have any suggestions?
-Sara0229

Question everything!
RE: In need of a book suggestion
I was lucky enough to stumble upon one of the greatest orators ever. I read his stuff, and it made me think in ways that modern atheist writers today cannot seem to meet.

His name is Robert Green Ingersoll.

http://infidels.org/library/historical/r...ingersoll/

Focus on his religious writings, which are obvious through the titles of each piece.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Not much for even a Christian brain to understand.

We atheists are still waiting for the Christ folks to come up with some real proof.

Walk on the fucking water, raise the dead, regenerate a severed limb, handle deadly serpents, drink poison (and live of course), that sort of thing.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 28, 2015 at 12:28 am)Sara0229 Wrote: I need a book, or even a good website that can help a Christian understand atheism. So much I see just trashes Christianity and that's not what I want to do I just want to show how my world makes sense with no god.

Just read the bible.  Read it as if you personally just discovered it and make your own mind up about it.  Try and judge for yourself and ask yourself does this read more like a book of old myths and fairy tales or an actual historical account of talking snakes and magic boats.

I don't know what you mean by how the world makes sense with no god.  From the atheist perspective there already is no god and every factual educational book about the world and the universe shows how the world and the universe makes sense and they don't include god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(December 28, 2015 at 12:39 am)paulpablo Wrote:
(December 28, 2015 at 12:28 am)Sara0229 Wrote: I need a book, or even a good website that can help a Christian understand atheism. So much I see just trashes Christianity and that's not what I want to do I just want to show how my world makes sense with no god.

Just read the bible.  Read it as if you personally just discovered it and make your own mind up about it.  Try and judge for yourself and ask yourself does this read more like a book of old myths and fairy tales or an actual historical account of talking snakes and magic boats.

I don't know what you mean by how the world makes sense with no god.  From the atheist perspective there already is no god and every factual educational book about the world and the universe shows how the world and the universe makes sense and they don't include god.

No my point was that her world only makes sense if there is a god, she can't rationalize life without some spirituality and a mystic man doing I don't know what, but my world doesn't make sense if there is a god because I just don't believe any of it. I believe in facts and I want to see research. We may not know all the answers to every question but that doesn't prove there's a god we just haven't evolved our knowledge to that point yet.

She is open minded and just wants to understand my point of view but I can't seem to explain it in a way that makes sense to her.
-Sara0229

Question everything!
(December 28, 2015 at 12:50 am)Sara0229 Wrote: No my point was that her world only makes sense if there is a god, she can't rationalize life without some spirituality and a mystic man doing I don't know what, but my world doesn't make sense if there is a god because I just don't believe any of it. I believe in facts and I want to see research. We may not know all the answers to every question but that doesn't prove there's a god we just haven't evolved our knowledge to that point yet.

She is open minded and just wants to understand my point of view but I can't seem to explain it in a way that makes sense to her.

You explained it just fine right there, and if she cannot understand your position from what you have shared above then she is lost.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Maybe send your friend a Bart Campolo video. He was a former evangelical preacher, so he knows all about that world, and he doesn't hate religion. His father was a famous preacher, I think. He says things like: I'm still the same person I was as a Christian, I still have the same values, I just have a better reason for those values etc. He's now a humanist "chaplain". He's a great speaker. His focus is not on bashing religion, but on building communities for non-religious people as an alternative to religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgvxQPeKHOA
As for books, I like the title of this one (but I haven't read it):

Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart
http://www.atheistmindhumanistheart.com/about-book/
http://www.amazon.com/Atheist-Mind-Human...1442236795

If you want more in depth, philosophical, books about humanism (living without religion) try Paul Kurtz:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paul+kurtz+books
The British Humanist Association also has some good videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BritishHuma...w=0&sort=p

This might be the wrong place to ask.

Sophisticated atheism that has matured beyond infantile trash talk is sadly not very popular here.

If you want to really understand a philosophically defensible, rigorous defense of atheism I suggest The Atheists Guide to Reality by Alex Rosenberg.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1667 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2342 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6564 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2375 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1846 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2800 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1653 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5882 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 11977 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon JesusHChrist 10 2935 April 8, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan