Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 21st Century is 16 Years Old!
The 21st Century is 16 Years Old!
This only happens once in a lifetime—once in many lifetimes, so I had to plaay this song.

http://rhondadenisejohnson.com/16Candles.mp3
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The 21st Century is 16 Years Old!
(January 1, 2016 at 7:53 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: This only happens once in a lifetime—once in many lifetimes, so I had to plaay this song.

http://rhondadenisejohnson.com/16Candles.mp3

Damn, I remember when the 21st century was still going to be 16 years in the future.
15 years old, actually.  The 21st century began 1 January 2001, not 1 January 2000.  This is because there isn't a Year 0.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sweet.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
[Image: 2016.png]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 2, 2016 at 8:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 15 years old, actually.  The 21st century began 1 January 2001, not 1 January 2000.  This is because there isn't a Year 0.

Boru

So? The various calendar conversions means there isn't an integer number of years between Jan 1, 1AD and the start of any year or century now.
(January 2, 2016 at 1:06 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(January 2, 2016 at 8:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 15 years old, actually.  The 21st century began 1 January 2001, not 1 January 2000.  This is because there isn't a Year 0.

Boru

So?  The various calendar conversions means there isn't an integer number of years between Jan 1, 1AD and the start of any year or century now.

Correct as far as it goes, but it doesn't much matter. Centuries (Western calendar) begin on 1 January _ _ _ 1, not 1 January _ _ _ 0.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I was reading something in yahoo news the other day, and someone posted how they thought that 2016 meant how old the US is. LOL
I remember talking in junior high about how exciting it was that we'd live to the 21st century and how very old we'd be. You know old, like mid to late thirties. :0 I expect to much more of the 21st century. And I don't feel old yet.

The big change for me was not the big round number, but the internet. None of us in the 80s saw that coming.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Tt

Boru

Think about it. When you have your first birthday you've's already bean here for one year and are now ready to start your second year. By the same token, the 21 century began in 2000. by the time 2001 arrived it was one years old.

Note: I will continue to love you and think you're the greatest no matter what conclusion you come to concerning this. It's just water under the bridge.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Short Years Foxaèr 6 699 March 15, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  US China war 70 years later Apollo 10 741 December 14, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Most memorable New Years onlinebiker 8 566 January 1, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  45 years later, at a sports bar....... Brian37 4 429 September 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do you imagine the world millions of years from now? Macoleco 34 3531 April 15, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  New Years Resolutions? paulpablo 24 1699 January 4, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  1000 years (just for fun) Catholic_Lady 43 9808 July 30, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Been here three years Foxaèr 43 6735 April 3, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Five years RobbyPants 3 915 February 1, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Friend deleted me after 2 years because i'm atheist Heat 54 8556 October 18, 2015 at 10:37 am
Last Post: KevinM1