Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why people are religious
Why people are religious
What's your opinion on why people are religious?

I think it's purely emotional. I think people can't cope with the idea of not knowing how the world works, so they cling to some kind of explanation that they can make sense of. They fear death, and can't cope with the idea of not existing in some form. The prospect that their life has no greater meaning is depressing.

I think that's why logic doesn't work. Logic doesn't give a religious person the same comfort that their religion gives them. Their religion is like a warm comforter that tells them they will live on after death. It tells them that there's a higher power who think they're special and has a plan for them.

What do you think?
RE: Why people are religious
I think it's patronizing to assume what someone's reasons behind their worldview are, especially if it's done in a way that makes them sound emotionally weak and/or damaged and that different people have different reasons to believe different things

In short, ask them.
I would say religious is usually due to family/parents or society. That is a different reason to be spiritual (ie. believe in God, afterlife, soul).

However I wouldn't try to explain the vast majority of people. Rather try to see the few people who have searched and came to conclusions. The people who thoroughly thought about the issue.

It maybe you may find no one who is justified in believing in religion, but it maybe that there is a true religion out there. It maybe you don't know anyone who can guide you, but there is a person who can guide you. It maybe you don't know any proof of any person being guided, but there is proof of a certain person being guided who is meant to guide you as well due to that proof they have.

Of course a lot of people don't really think about the issue and just follow religion blindly. What most people do shouldn't effect your decision.
(January 6, 2016 at 11:22 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I would say religious is usually due to family/parents or society.

^This^
I take the view that religion is a lot like a drug. We all crave a certain level of neurotransmitters in our brain, and the comfort and meaning people derive from religion releases neurotransmitters that their brain craves. The brain then craves more of those neurotransmitters, causing the person to want to repeat that comfortable feeling they have. The person essentially becomes addicted to that comfort, making it extremely hard to convince them it's not real.

Surely it's not an all-encompassing explanation, and I don't claim to speak for anyone. Each person is unique and has their own reasons. But given the way our brains operate and how our thoughts and beliefs affect that, it's definitely a viable theory.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Assuming you're not a troll or Poe or whatever (sorry, we have our share recently), they're religious because people need some hand. They need to associate with a group where they feel secure. They're also religious because they're not comfortable with the lights out of death, because they hope to meet some lost loved ones again.

All in all, being religious is entirely human.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 6, 2016 at 11:19 am)Vic Wrote: I think it's patronizing to assume what someone's reasons behind their worldview are, especially if it's done in a way that makes them sound emotionally weak and/or damaged and that different people have different reasons to believe different things
I think that everyone can be emotionally weak; we're all human. I think that everyone has things about themselves that is due to some kind of weakness or other, and we all have things that are due to our strengths. My emotional weaknesses, for example, make it difficult for me to sustain relationships.

It wasn't meant to be patronising or insulting. My experience is that generally when religious people are presented with facts that contradict their beliefs, they tend to react emotionally rather than logically, which leads me to believe that the basis of their beliefs must be emotional.

Quote:In short, ask them.
If you ask a religious person why the believe what they do, they'll tell you why they think they believe what they do, but it's not necessarily the full answer. I used to say that I believed what made sense to me, but it was only when I stopped being religious that I realised that I was clinging to ideas that I wanted to be true. I wanted the universe to be divine, and I wanted there to be something beyond this life, but I found myself making illogical justifications for my beliefs that seemed logical at the time.

(January 6, 2016 at 11:22 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I would say religious is usually due to family/parents or society. That is a different reason to be spiritual (ie. believe in God, afterlife, soul).
I think that accounts for the particular religion they follow, and why they're initially religious, but not necessarily why they keep their religious beliefs.

Quote:However I wouldn't try to explain the vast majority of people. Rather try to see the few people who have searched and came to conclusions. The people who thoroughly thought about the issue.

It maybe you may find no one who is justified in believing in religion, but it maybe that there is a true religion out there. It maybe you don't know anyone who can guide you, but there is a person who can guide you. It maybe you don't know any proof of any person being guided, but there is proof of a certain person being guided who is meant to guide you as well due to that proof they have.
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.
We need to stop generalizing and painting with broad brushes. Why people are religious varies and a lot of the reasons have been mentioned. It boils down to each person is their own individual and has their own reasons for their worldview, so as Vic said, ask them.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(January 6, 2016 at 12:04 pm)abaris Wrote: Assuming you're not a troll or Poe or whatever (sorry, we have our share recently),
I don't know what a Poe is, but I'm not a troll; the question is geniune.

Quote:they're religious because people need some hand. They need to associate with a group where they feel secure. They're also religious because they're not comfortable with the lights out of death, because they hope to meet some lost loved ones again.
That's essentially my point. The community thing is another part of the comforter I was talking about.

Quote:All in all, being religious is entirely human.
I agree.
(January 6, 2016 at 12:09 pm)jcvamp Wrote:
(January 6, 2016 at 11:22 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I would say religious is usually due to family/parents or society. That is a different reason to be spiritual (ie. believe in God, afterlife, soul).
I think that accounts for the particular religion they follow, and why they're initially religious, but not necessarily why they keep their religious beliefs.

They keep their particular religion though more often then not. Their bias is there towards their family. 10% of society changes from their initial religion into something else. And even then, a lot of them go back to their religion.

If it was just after life and what not for comfort, well I believe in that stuff for five years with no religion.

What I meant by that, is you shouldn't let your search of whether there is a true religion or not, be determined by the fact most just follow it blindly or with severe bias towards their brand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74562 Yesterday at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11413 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 648 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5388 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9659 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7015 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7841 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4943 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3754 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5228 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod