Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why are people believing in god again??
why are people believing in god again??
nevermind.
RE: why are people believing in god again??
People have the right to believe what they want. The main problem comes when religious people want to get involved in politics, while still retaining tax exempt status. i'm pretty sure if we revoked it for every church that decides they want a horse in the political show, we wouldn't have presidential candidates running on christian theocracy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

What do you mean again? Was there a time in known history when people didn't?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Probably for the same reason you assume the head on your shoulders is yours. Admit it, you'd already assumed it long before putting any justification together. Same goes for people channelling a god. Though they go even further in assuming that the god their brain is broadcasting isn't just theirs but yours too.
(January 10, 2016 at 7:48 pm)Jenny A Wrote: What do you mean again?  Was there a time in known history when people didn't?

Probably again, because he/she assumed correctly that there are about a thousand threads with the same question - without using the search function, of course.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
All the evidence that I've seen is indicative of a rise in atheism, with the non-religious doubling in the US over the past generation.
It would be more accurate to say more people are believing in Allah:

[Image: 273BD33100000578-3023597-image-a-7_1428001734781.jpg]
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Or at least saying that they do in order not to be ostracised/killed. How many actually believe is another question.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Because people's lives are often sad and empty and Jesus helps them feel better.

Why do you think so many poor people love Jesus? Because they have less material goods in their life, they can get over their pride and stubborness and just love God.

Makes me think while we should give food and medicine to poor folks, Im not sure education is the best for them, since it might make them sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1943 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1873 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3096 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50376 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13202 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22060 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis CeruleanNight 146 31184 August 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6706 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4474 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue