Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need A Little Help
Need A Little Help
CD, Tiberius, Syn, Darwinian - 

I realize that I'm more like the prodigal son / pariah to you guyz but I could use some assistance with a malware bug I cannot get ride of.

I use Chrome for my web browser (although Firefox has the same issue from what I understand) and every time I open a new tab or attempt a google search I end up getting a Yahoo page showing all the search results (among other annoying things).

Can you or anyone else help me to remove this abomination from my computer.  I've had no luck using Chrome's standard methods of malware eradication.  

Thank you,

Solus
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Need A Little Help
I had the same problem.

In Chrome, go to settings.

Under search, manage the engines.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 14, 2016 at 12:18 am)Kitan Wrote: I had the same problem.

Gimme a little more credit than that Kitan, I tried that first.
This is more than just some little invader changing my default browser.  I've had no luck correcting this thing using the standard layman's processes.

I assume you've run Chrome's Cleanup Tool.

If it is happening across multiple browsers, it's probably not Chrome.

Check Add/Remove Programs (assuming you're using Windows) and look for any programs you're not sure about. Sometimes video codecs or some third party software that sets your default search engine to Yahoo every time your start a browser.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It's a malware so first use a malware cleanup utility like malwarebytes.
Then install any "tab" extension for chrome from the chrome store to change/override any new-tab related settings the malware might have changed.
Then uninstall the plugin to get your old chrome back.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 14, 2016 at 1:46 am)Solus Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 12:18 am)Kitan Wrote: I had the same problem.

Gimme a little more credit than that Kitan, I tried that first.
This is more than just some little invader changing my default browser.  I've had no luck correcting this thing using the standard layman's processes.

Have you tried the following tool?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
Malwarebytes, works most of the time.
Yeah, this definitely sounds a lot like Malware to me. Try out software called Malwarebytes as the user above has recommended and get back to us. MB usually sorts issues like this out fairly easily.
I tried it once and it worked momentarily.  I suppose I could try it again.

(January 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm)Solus Wrote: I tried it once and it worked momentarily.  I suppose I could try it again.

Yeah, give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Windows 8.1 A Theist 10 2379 March 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I need your help! BrokenQuill92 12 2067 April 30, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal