Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?)
How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?)
So, after becoming aware of a number of facts over the last few years, and most recently learning that animal husbandry causes more environmental damage than all of the planes trains and automobiles TOGETHER (and checking that fact, and finding it to be true), my family has decided, as a group, that we are going to be vegetarians.

This isn't a huge leap, because we have slowly been reducing meat in our diets lately, but eliminating it entirely is still a big step to take.

We have 3 main reasons for doing this.  The Pros:
1. It is what is best for the health of the earth.
2. It is what is best for the health of ourselves.
3. It is what is best for the health of the animals in question.
4. I want my kid to have a future, for there to be a rainforest, fresh air and water, seas filled with life and not dead zones and plastic islands.  I want my kids kids kids kids, and so forth, to have the same.

The Cons:
1. No bacon Sad

Just a few years back, I was defending eating meat.  I know that humans have evolved to consume animals.  I grew up on a farm and helped kill and prepare chickens, turkeys, and even rabbits. But my views have changed over time, and I now look back on my old self as both ignorant and selfish.

My issue here is that dairy is nearly as bad as meat, yet I find it MUCH harder to give that up.  Being a vegan is as far away as being a vegetarian used to be.  I am lactose intolerant now, so I gave up milk years ago and now enjoy small portions of almond milk instead, but I have never given up hard cheese and yogurt, or eggs.  And yet...I found myself in the grocery store yesterday angsting over the morality of buying some locally made cheddar (Tillimook). Argh!

Also, we have been meat free about 2 weeks now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm scraping for recipes and variety.  I've got loads of different salads (From creamy cucumber to medeteranian).  Not just light things, but whole meals.  My kid just hates most pasta for some reason, so potatoes and rice are the main starches.  Wraps and sandwchiches are also good.
My family is quite open to most veggies.  I picked up some vegan broccoli, carrot and kale soup and my kid LOVES it.  However, I can't afford that kind of thing often, and prefer to cook things myself most times, so I'm hoping some others here might have some recipes to share.

This is also a good place to discus the morality of eating meat.  If becoming a vegetarian does more good for the planet than selling your car and biking to work every day, then perhaps it is something more people should consider?  Or at least consider reducing meat as much as possible.  I know the meat and dairy industries are an even bigger lobby group than oil (it was news to me at the time, but again, it is true, go look it up), so there is no other way to fight them than to vote with my wallet and my habits.

So...Any recipes to share?  Opinions or thoughts?  Is anyone else thinking about changing their diet for similar reasons?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?)
(January 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Aroura Wrote: If becoming a vegetarian does more good for the planet than selling your car and biking to work every day, then perhaps it is something more people should consider?

[Image: 8e8da2c920d3e2b7252737de2bc2cb5b.jpg]
(January 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Aroura Wrote: The Cons:
1. No bacon Sad

You see, I don't hate animals or anything but....That's gonna be a deal breaker.
And on a serious note, I couldn't do it. I don't eat meat every day, but though it usually is beef, I don't think I could do without it. My weight would probably drop even more too.
Would you be OK with me cutting back and only eating vegetarians?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I eat meat everyday and absolutely hate vegetables. I couldn't become a vegetarian ever and nothing boils my blood more than someone trying to force their lifestyle on me.
If someone can create a meat substitute that actually tastes like the meat it's supposed to replicate and not used odour eaters then I'll consider it.
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 14, 2016 at 5:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: If someone can create a meat substitute that actually tastes like the meat it's supposed to replicate and not used odour eaters then I'll consider it.

I kinda second this, but proper meat is obviously better. Tongue
(January 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Aroura Wrote: So, after becoming aware of a number of facts over the last few years, and most recently learning that animal husbandry causes more environmental damage than all of the planes trains and automobiles TOGETHER (and checking that fact, and finding it to be true), my family has decided, as a group, that we are going to be vegetarians.

This isn't a huge leap, because we have slowly been reducing meat in our diets lately, but eliminating it entirely is still a big step to take.

We have 3 main reasons for doing this.  The Pros:
1. It is what is best for the health of the earth.
2. It is what is best for the health of ourselves.
3. It is what is best for the health of the animals in question.
4. I want my kid to have a future, for there to be a rainforest, fresh air and water, seas filled with life and not dead zones and plastic islands.  I want my kids kids kids kids, and so forth, to have the same.

The Cons:
1. No bacon Sad

1.  That is by far the best and least contestable reason.
2.  That is highly debatable and I would take the other side personally.
3.  Well yeah, being dead is practically synonymous with the very poorest state of health.
4.  I only wish that could be achieved through vegetarianism.  I'd become a vegetarian or kill myself if I thought that was true.

No bacon?  Hell I already have no bacon in my life on account of my damned new years resolution.  Gradually, I am becoming light on my feet though.
(January 14, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: No bacon?  Hell I already have no bacon in my life on account of my damned new years resolution.  Gradually, I am becoming light on my feet though.

I had bacon this morning. It was delicious. Tongue