Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Shia Islam less Extreme?
Is Shia Islam less Extreme?
I know all forms of religion are subject to violence and extremism, except for perhaps FSM Grin .

Although it seems some religions are less extreme than others.

Is Shia Islam, (even in it's worst form) less extreme than Sunni Islam?

There are violent extremists in both sects, but idk the Shia "extremists" seem less brutal and indiscriminate in their violence.

Of all the "lone wolf" "self-radicalized" Islamic extremists in the West, it seems practically none of them are Shiites or were mentored at a Shia mosque.

Iran is a Shia theocracy, but the terrorism it sponsors seems to be more "narrowly tailored" than that of ISIS or Al-Qaeda. Still brutal and awful (particularly against Jesus' home country of Israel) but less wanton and "all over the place." That is not to discount the human rights abuses that go on in that country in the name of Allah.

Just look at Iraq. It is a majority Shia Islam nation, but do we really see a Shia counterpart to ISIS? Undecided 

The Democratic (largely Shia) government in Baghdad is fairly pluralistic, given the country it is in. There are secular parties as well as Shia Islamic parties. While the human rights situation in government controlled Iraq is not ideal, there seem to be no adulterers stoned or thieves with hands cut off. I don't sense a Shia drive for a theocracy there.

The main Shia terrorist group I know of is Hezbollah. It does bad things, but idk, for some reason it's atrocities seem to pale in comparison to some Sunni extremist groups (Boko Haram, ISIS, Al-Qaeda,Taliban etc.)

What causes this? Is it just because shia are a huge minority compared to Sunni (15% Shia Islam, 85% Sunni), or is Shia Islam fundamentally a slightly less violent intolerant brand of Islam? Slightly?

I just notice a "terrorism discrepancy" between the two at times ( how many Shia suicide bombers again? Undecided ) and I wonder. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great.
RE: Is Shia Islam less Extreme?
I've learned not to play with you. Oh shit, this is playing.  Quick, look away!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Depends which side of the suicide vest you're on, doesn't it?
[Image: 5c31a422b2512555f4393f5844647ebf.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

That's a very nice wall.
How tough is your stomach ?
Is it strong enough ?

If so, then the answer of your question can be found in two videos :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Ashura

As for violence inflicted by Shia against other people :

From the beginning. If your stomach isn't tough enough, don't ask this question.
I've sometimes wondered if there is a Shia version Salafis. If Salafis really are representative of the Salaf then surely that's something at least some Shiites want to strive for. I hope they don't want to emulate those that persecuted the natives of Persia (e.g. Zarathustrians) but it would make sense if they did.

If Iranians really took the time to investigate Zarathustra then they'd see a number of key similarities with Muhammad; it's uncanny. It's almost like people borrowed elements from Zarathustras story to create Muhammad. I think if they were sincere in their Theism they'd return to the religion of Zarathustra. But we know how a lot of people living in Iran are actually secular and so want to be free from the shackles of religion (their theocracy) altogether.

You give religion far too much credit, the indoctrinated wouldn't change to Zoroastrianism if they discovered their religion to be false.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 18, 2016 at 3:34 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: You give religion far too much credit, the indoctrinated wouldn't change to Zoroastrianism if they discovered their religion to be false.

One can dream. I'd hope they'd all become irreligious of course. But I know that for some people they think one religion has to be true (like I used to) and so they'd rather change their religion. What really opened my eyes is this: If I want to learn about the flaws in the Bible I go to a Muhammadan, and if I want to know about the flaws in the Quran I go to a Christian.

I see little difference tbh. It's the same religion to anyone on the outside.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7732 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Females are less intelligent than men according to authentic Sunni islamic hadith Binki21 9 1306 November 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Shia & Sunna: Why I don't believe WinterHold 97 16516 May 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is Islam more or less violent in Its teachings then other religions? Goosebump 38 6129 June 9, 2015 at 3:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5421 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Shia-Sunni issue and proofs? Mystic 27 6054 March 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Being a Dubai policeman is a hard and extreme job! Zidneya 2 1310 September 29, 2014 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Endo
  Shia or Suni? Something completely different 8 2419 July 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: annatar
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33618 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet
  News: Saudi Religious police to have less power Doubting_Thomas 7 3578 October 19, 2012 at 3:31 am
Last Post: cratehorus