Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Your Name Mean?
What Does Your Name Mean?
Have you ever researched what your name means? Can you see a connection between the name on your birth certificate and your personality as an adult? Does your name come from a culture with which you share some ancestral heritage or did your parent choose it because it sounded good?

Rhonda is Celtic-Welsh for powerful river or good lance

My middle name Denise is derived from the Greek god Dionysus

I think considering the way I’ve dealt with the challenges of my life, powerful river could be worked in there. And my creative personality could very well be informed by the god of wine and drama.

To my knowledge, I have no Celtic-Welsh heritage.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What Does Your Name Mean?
My name is Lauren. I don't know what it means, feel free to look it up.
Rorie. It's Irish, quite an obscure version of the name, and means Red King. Befitting given my status as Undisputed Dominar of the Omniverse.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Well, my name unfortunately means "Bearer of Christ," so no, I don't see any connection to my personality. In fact, I don't think I could have been given a name that was more opposite of who I am.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
My name means .......... A sequence of letters that when you say it, I respond. 

All kidding aside, some people like getting into the meaning of names, I never did. I was adopted, and one thing my dad kept repeating to me was "You are a....(Last name here)" and that never meant anything to me. It is important when others pronounce your name first or last, or if you have a nickname you prefer, because that is simply a act of politeness.

What matters to me is how someone treats me, not what sequence of letters identify them. Not their titles or nationalities or religions.

I am fine with expecting someone to pronounce your name the way you request them to. And sure, the history of it may mean something to you personally, but in the grand scope of the history of the universe, we all take the same ride and that ride always ends the same way.
My understanding is that "Joseph" refers to fertility.

I'll start pumpin' 'em out eventually...
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Using biblical terms and old German, my name means "Beloved gift from God who robs people on the highway." My last name is an old German term for 'highwayman.'
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I hate my name ._.
I am pretty sure my parents used some sort of random name generator, though I haven't got them to confess to it yet!

But my real name apparently means "one illuminated by their own light"
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I haven't looked up what Robert means, if it means anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name That Tune V2.0 onlinebiker 14 600 August 7, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What does your username mean? vulcanlogician 46 2709 February 11, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Name me........ Brian37 6 628 July 3, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Name that musician... arewethereyet 29 1649 April 19, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2236 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Name your poison. Brian37 49 1756 August 29, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 799 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Brian37 19 1685 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Name 3 things about the poster above ignoramus 67 4431 November 17, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: no one
  Your barbarian/fantasy character name... The Valkyrie 40 5003 May 15, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie