Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick question about Quarks
Quick question about Quarks
Is is true that only Up and Down Quarks appear in nature? (Those that make up protons and neutrons). I remember hearing this somewhere but I can't remember where. It's bee on my mind recently as I've been thinking about whether it's a good argument to use against religionists.

So my question comes in two parts: Do Strange, Charm, Top and Bottom Quarks appear naturally?

And two: If they don't, could I use this against religionists as an example of something that humans can do but their favourite deity cannot?

RE: Quick question about Quarks
Didn't he own a bar on DS9
Dying to live, living to die.
Sorry, I don't watch Star Trek so I don't understand.

Also ran a holographic bar in First Contact as I remember.
(January 24, 2016 at 7:23 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Is is true that only Up and Down Quarks appear in nature? (Those that make up protons and neutrons). I remember hearing this somewhere but I can't remember where. It's bee on my mind recently as I've been thinking about whether it's a good argument to use against religionists.

So my question comes in two parts: Do Strange, Charm, Top and Bottom Quarks appear naturally?

And two: If they don't, could I use this against religionists as an example of something that humans can do but their favourite deity cannot?

They should all be created all the time in cosmic ray collisions of protons with the atmosphere , which reach almost 50 times the collision energy of the LHC (which is arguably even enough to make the superheavy top quark, although more rarely), but they are all unstable and very quickly decay. Only the proton is by itself a stable combination in which u and d quarks survive very long or indefinitely. Even the neutron is unstable by itself because one of the down quark decays.

Strange and charm quarks regularly appear as virtual particles in protons, depends on whether that counts...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

[Image: quark-01.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 24, 2016 at 7:26 am)Beccs Wrote: Didn't he own a bar on DS9

Do you think he was a top or bottom? I'll give you strange.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Ok here's one I made up. You have to know that top quark antiparticles are denoted by a t with a line over it, pronounced "tee bar". So, did you know that t tbar collissions are never topless?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Spacecraft Arriving on Mars in Quick Succession Fake Messiah 16 1225 February 18, 2021 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do All Protons Have the Same Number of Quarks? Rhondazvous 20 3679 October 9, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Quick Fix to CO2 and oil problems? Fake Messiah 10 1873 September 10, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: thehedglin