Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elon Musk Says SpaceX Will Send People to Mars by 2025
Elon Musk Says SpaceX Will Send People to Mars by 2025
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/el...25-n506891
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Elon Musk Says SpaceX Will Send People to Mars by 2025
I hope Robert Zubrin gets to go.
I hope I'm alive in 2025 to hear Musk's explanations as to why he missed the date.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I seems Elon didn't say the person would be either alive, or whole, when he, or she, gets to Mars, nor whether the landing would be hard or soft, nor whether there would landing at all, nor is there any mention of any form of return to earth.

There is no doubt we can send urns full of ash, or even intact corpse to mars right now. A human corpse is much less massive and more compact than some of the probes we sent.

The only promise humans ever made to get to a destination in space that were actually kept was considerably more specific than that.
(January 30, 2016 at 8:49 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I seems Elon didn't say the person would be either alive, or whole, when he, or she, gets to Mars, nor whether the landing would be hard or soft, nor whether there would landing at all, nor is there any mention of any form of return to earth.

There is no doubt we can send urns full of ash, or even intact corpse to mars right now. A human corpse is much less massive and more compact than some of the probes we sent.

The only promise humans ever made to get to a destination in space that were actually kept was considerably more specific than that.

Oh, silly me. Of COURSE Musk meant he's going to send corpses or coffee urns full of cremains to Mars, can't believe I didn't pick that up.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No, it meant he shot his mouth off without really considering the implications of keeping that promise.
I'm fairly certain that NASAs operational architecture for a manned mars mission (you can get in full on their website) or the more publicized Mars Direct concept (upon which NASAs proposal leans heavily) speak to the concerns you have. It's unlikely that a spacex mission to mars wouldn't at least -reference- either of these. Now, Elon Musk may or may not have a full knowledge of every detail of either plan, or even his own organizations plan, but is that his job? I'm guessing he's paid alot of people alot of money to tell him whether or not it's doable. It's been doable for nearly half a century - technically, more hung up on the why than the how. He's betting on the intangibles to motivate us. The "adventure".

Tell people it's a one way ticket and watch them volunteer in droves. In fact, they already have, even though every legitimate mars proposal includes a return. You could say, without embellishing, that they are defined by and distinguished from each other by the manner in which they propose to address the concerns of the human cargo.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
When China rules the world, they will also rule space. The future will look nothing like the Star Trek multiracial utopia, it will look more like goose-stepping Chinese storm troopers.

Civilisations rise and fall, and the American empire has all the signs of being terminal.
That's okay, empire is exhausting, it's hard to carry the world on your back.   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 30, 2016 at 8:39 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That's okay, empire is exhausting, it's hard to carry the world on your back.   Wink

True, but cracking your forehead on the ground for a full kowtow is not exactly a relaxing alternative.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Musk Thumpalumpacus 93 3564 Yesterday at 9:51 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says WinterHold 262 17275 March 28, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 829 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4526 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mars Rover Launch BrianSoddingBoru4 23 1250 July 30, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  West Virginia, WH dumbass, send him home. Brian37 42 2890 March 18, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  knives don't stab people people stab people! Drich 135 5287 April 9, 2019 at 8:37 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Melania Trump says Sexual Assault victims shouldn't report unless they have evidence Divinity 116 11983 October 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Donald Trump's wife says she "could be the most bullied person in the world" Seraphina 22 2754 October 14, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman 'would not last two weeks' without US support WinterHold 2 481 October 7, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist