Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain eateries in your hood.
Chain eateries in your hood.
When I used to travel around the country for work I'd always try to eat at different places that I didn't see at home. Some fast food, some sit down. I found quite a few chains that we don't have in Omaha. No White Castle, What-A-Burger, Cheddars, Granite City (until recently), Elephant Bar, ....................

What do you have in your neck of the woods that you like/frequent? It would help if you tell me where your neck is.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Chain eateries in your hood.
(January 30, 2016 at 8:06 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: When I used to travel around the country for work I'd always try to eat at different places that I didn't see at home. Some fast food, some sit down. I found quite a few chains that we don't have in Omaha. No White Castle, What-A-Burger, Cheddars, Granite City (until recently), Elephant Bar, ....................

What do you have in your neck of the woods that you like/frequent? It would help if you tell me where your neck is.

We  have this place called crown fried chicken and this other place called wing heaven and anthony's  pizza and another place...
they arent chained but they are amazing we even have this place that sells food in a cone like conned pizza and stuff.

The chains we have Jimmy John's (if you like subway don't get up set but Jimmy Johns's make subway taste like trash.)
Steak and Shake, Perkins, Bojangle's (best breakfast), Wawa (best breakfast and sandwiches), White Castle (fucking delicious), Krystal (rip off white castle just as good.. get them hot), Waffle house Big Grin, Del Taco (because fuck taco bell), Chick Fil a (i cant support such a bigoted company.. but their food is delicious), Red Rob a great place to sit down and eat a gourmet burger.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
This thread just makes me hungry Sad
I mostly dislike food chains, but there is a little Mexican joint here called Rigabertos that rocks, and my favorite Thai place, House of Noodle!

In the NW, we have a lot of little local breweries that often have their own restaurant and pub out front.  Just about ANY of those are really good.

Oh, then it just occurred to me.  My favorite NW chain is Mcmenamins.  The tend to buy up old properties (like schools, boarding houses, theaters, etc) and turn them into very unique restaurants, sometimes even B&B's.  They keep the historical buildings intact, have great atmosphere and fabulous food.

My grade school is and amazing thing now, they used the school building, gym and even the old Monastary!  It's really cool to go back to a place I went to school for 7 years, and be able to take a Turkish Bath in the old auditorium...

Old St.Francis School
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Hmmm, I don't really eat at very many regional/national chains. Carl's Jr or Wendy's when I want to get a quick burger on, which isn't very often. Regional, there's Burgerville, which is good but on the expensive side for fast food.

Other than that... I don't eat at any of the usual suspects (McD's, BK, Taco Bell, etc). I can be talked into going into Red Robin or Olive Garden. We have a (local/regional) chain called Joy Teriyaki that is the bomb for cheap eats.

We have so many independent restaurants and food carts, that's usually what I do.
Regional chains are kind of cool. Places that are well known in their markets but unknown elsewhere. Here in San Diego, I don't go to any such places, because its either the mom and pops or the national chains that are more convenient.

I see McCormick and Schmicks around here. Upscaley steak and seafood, I think. Also, everybody raves about In and Out (at least the tourists, anyway). I vaguely remember going in the 80's, but not since. I had always seen Angelo's up in North County. Another fast food place. But Rexb. said they were meh at best.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(January 30, 2016 at 9:05 pm)Aroura Wrote: Oh, then it just occurred to me.  My favorite NW chain is Mcmenamins.  The tend to buy up old properties (like schools, boarding houses, theaters, etc) and turn them into very unique restaurants, sometimes even B&B's.  They keep the historical buildings intact, have great atmosphere and fabulous food.

I've been going to McM's since I turned 21 in 1988. The thing with a lot of their neighborhood pubs is other than decor, they all seem the same. Same beer, same menu, not just across location, but across time. I mean, they all still serve Ruby, Hammerhead, and Nebraska Bitter, etc, and the menu rarely changes. They're serving a lot of the exact same beers that they were in 1988. They have so many small breweries, they *could* do an insane amount of variety. Then again, the McMenamin brothers are rolling in dough, so what do I know?

The unique properties like Edgefield and Kennedy School are the exception, Kitty and I go to those occasionally.
I live for the Archer Farms deli wraps at Target.

Mediterranean Veggie Wrap has kalamatas olives and goat cheese.

Or the Chicken BLT. Or the Buffalo Chicken Wrap.

And they're only $3.99.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Some 'chain' oddities in Omaha;

site of first franchised Hu Hot (114th Dodge, since moved to 120th Blondo)

One of the last (if not the last) Lums is (was?) in Bellevue

one of the very last 'original' Dairy Queens was around 18th Broadway in Council Bluffs, I think it's a Jimmy John's now.

Omaha was the home of the short lived, but VERY tasty Barnards (roast beef sandwiches) an exec disgruntled with all the changes at Arbies started Barnard's.

One of my most favorite spots in high school was the Henry's just south of Dodge on 72nd.

There weren't too many Mayberries, the one down the hill from I-680 on Maple Street was quite good, although quite hard to get to

Not really a chain, but as I recall, there were 2 Johnny's Cafes, the original on the east edge of the stockyards, and the second location was west on L street, not too far from where the Sol's Jewelry and Pawn is now.

I remember getting Chicken Delight in Tacoma, WA while visiting relatives in the late 60s, I can't recall if there were any in/around Omaha

We went to Howard Johnsons on west Broadway in Council Bluffs precisely once when I was a kid. Dad hated it and forbid the family from ever going again
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 30, 2016 at 9:22 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(January 30, 2016 at 9:05 pm)Aroura Wrote: Oh, then it just occurred to me.  My favorite NW chain is Mcmenamins.  The tend to buy up old properties (like schools, boarding houses, theaters, etc) and turn them into very unique restaurants, sometimes even B&B's.  They keep the historical buildings intact, have great atmosphere and fabulous food.

I've been going to McM's since I turned 21 in 1988. The thing with a lot of their neighborhood pubs is other than decor, they all seem the same. Same beer, same menu, not just across location, but across time. I mean, they all still serve Ruby, Hammerhead, and Nebraska Bitter, etc, and the menu rarely changes. They're serving a lot of the exact same beers that they were in 1988. They have so many small breweries, they *could* do an insane amount of variety. Then again, the McMenamin brothers are rolling in dough, so what do I know?

The unique properties like Edgefield and Kennedy School are the exception, Kitty and I go to those occasionally.
I think that is one of their best quialities! Lol. Seriously, that Ruby is amazing. And they serve the best Hefeweizen.
I like that they don't latch on to every trendy thing. Maybe it is a nostalgia thing, for me.

The one in Vancouver port, I ate there for many special occasions when I lived and worked in Portland. And I can go to the one in Corvallis tonight and get the same great meal and beer or wine i got 2 decades ago! But in a remarkably different atmosphere. I think that is pretty cool. Smile

What's your favorite one that you and Kitty have been to?
I have been to In and Out once on a trip, and Red Robin a couple of times. In and out was fine, but I did not find it better than say, Burger King, I don't understand the love for it. Same with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. And Red Robin has never been a satisfactory experience for me. I really do prefer to hit smaller mom needs pop places, or local small businesses. Even just for burgers! Tavern burgers are almost always awesomesauce...

Ps, I miss burgers...#cryinginmysoup

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's New In the 'Hood? Crossless2.0 21 1254 March 2, 2019 at 3:25 am
Last Post: energizer bunny