Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches offer asylum seekers sanctuary
Information 
Churches offer asylum seekers sanctuary
In response to the appalling human rights abuse of the treatment of asylum seekers by the Australian Government, Anglican and Uniting churches have stepped up to offer safety against oppressive civic authorities, the ABC's Michael Edwards has reported.

The concept of sanctuary has never been tested under the law. The Government was prepared to play dirty with the recent High Court challenge, which they only won by passing bipartisan legislation that legalised their previously illegal activities. Nevertheless, this doesn't remove the ability of a lower court to refuse an oppressive order by the concept of nullification (where the jury or judge actively refuse to follow the letter of an unjust law), although that would be an extraordinary step if we were to see that.

However it would also be extraordinary if the government was prepared to play dirty against churches offering humanitarian services to people in a clearly unjust situation, especially with around 60% of Australians identifying as a Christian. Thus I would expect this action to create an impasse.

"Sanctuary was a concept that was certainly alive in the Middle Ages when people could go to a church, and particularly to a cathedral, and claim sanctuary and the church authorities could really grant them safety against the civic authorities."

"It was a way of saying I'm entering into God's territory, away from the civic authorities that are oppressing me, and the oppressors generally accepted that the church could offer sanctuary to people."

"So this is really a moral stand and it wouldn't be a good look, I don't think, for someone to enter a church and to drag people away."

-Reverend Dr Peter Catt (ABC news).

It's at times like as this with such displays of generosity that make proud to be an Anglican. Or rather ex-Anglican.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Churches offer asylum seekers sanctuary
Have any mullahs weighed in on a Muslim in good standing seeking sanctuary in an infidels church ?

I could see some heads getting lopped off over this idea, but I don't know for sure. Might want to find out before leaving the door unlocked.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 3, 2016 at 11:23 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Have any mullahs weighed in on a Muslim in good standing seeking sanctuary in an infidels church ?

Well seeing as no asylum seekers have actually taken up sanctuary in any of these churches yet, probably not.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Warms my heart to read stuff like this. Shame I can't appreciate acts of charity by Christians because, as an atheist, I have to be against theism. Otherwise I'm an idiot!

Wait, Excited Penguin isn't here? I can drop the act? Phew!
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Fucking Liberal Party ... just as bad as the Republican, if not worse ... and ironically not liberal at all ...
I saw where the Australian courts ruled that refugees can keep being sent to New Guinea.

Republicunts couldn't find New Guinea on a map.  Or probably Australia, either.
The government should call out the troops and bulldoze every church that offers sanctuary and imprison the people involved. The church nuts are not obeying the biblical rules and need to be severely punished.
(February 4, 2016 at 2:11 am)Minimalist Wrote: I saw where the Australian courts ruled that refugees can keep being sent to New Guinea.

Big Grin I had a good laugh at that "Republicunts" comment!

In Australia we just call it PNG. Not like .png though like P. N. G.

(February 4, 2016 at 2:11 am)Minimalist Wrote: I saw where the Australian courts ruled that refugees can keep being sent to New Guinea.

I'm not sure that's true... New Guinea has oil resources. That puts it on their map, right?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Seen the price of oil lately?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saudi Arabia: Two Saudi girls who flee to the U.S.A for asylum, were found dead WinterHold 1 595 October 31, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Saudi woman who fled for Australia seeking asylum 'kidnapped' and returned to Riyadh WinterHold 7 1322 May 7, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity Aegon 39 4340 February 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Sanctuary cities starting to sue abaris 18 1570 February 2, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: vorlon13