Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taking the lord's name in vain
taking the lord's name in vain
Now this one might be fun.  Swearing!  I've been known to say that, as an atheist, I need new swear words.  "God damn it!" and "Jesus Freaking Christ on a Cracker!" seems to indicate to my religious friends that I still believe and that I'm just a reprobate.   Tongue  But I just read a great response from mh.brewer that basically said that swearing did not indicate any deep-seated belief in a deity.  Inspiring!  Let's open that one up to debate!   

Do you feel odd using "god-terms" when you swear?  
And / or . . . what are your most favorite profanities?
My vocabulary needs some improvement! Big Grin
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: taking the lord's name in vain
or for extra credit, go a bit further,such as:

playing a version of whack a mole where they pop up thru Jesus nail holes
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: or for extra credit, go a bit further,such as:

Yeah but how do you use that idea when you stub your toe?          Huh
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
No I dont feel odd. I think using god's name as profanities is very much on point. That's the only thing that fits them now, at least for me. It's a religious believe that what we said have supernatural impact. When you're atheist, that's not the case anymore. I still use Jesus F-ing Christ, Jesus Mary and Joseph, and sometimes Astagfirullah, from Islam variety Big Grin
(February 5, 2016 at 2:01 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:
(February 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: or for extra credit, go a bit further,such as:

Yeah but how do you use that idea when you stub your toe?          Huh

Make it handheld and carry it with you at all times.

I say lots of god-related things intentionally and facetiously.  Some of my favorite exclamations are "Oh dear sweet god" and "oh jesus."  And "Oh, lord!" in an Australian accent like the guy on Futurama ("Hermes organized that forced-labor spa so efficiently, all of the work is now done by a single Australian man!")
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Anything works, folks!  I loved Robvalue's recent "whiny douche nozzles" in a post.  (stealing, Rob!)  And my brother latched on to something from a (years ago) Snickers commercial, which he uses as "hell of a fucking googley-moogley snafu".    I think we could make a killer collection here.  New thesaurus of swear words.
What the fuck is gods name anyway? lord and god are titles, not names. Don't think that hispanic guy was around when the commandment came down. I don't ever remember being introduced. No hand extended, "Hi, I am Chester your lord. Nice to meet you". No apparition stating " Harold, your god, commands you".

Just continue cursing in the manner that works best for you. You can always add "said the atheist" for additional effect.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Americans have turned religious swearing into an artform. Kind of ironic, actually, considering that it's the only really religious Western country.

The German language, of course features god damn it, but hardly anyone uses it. There are much shorter swearwords that are easier on the tongue and come more naturally.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You mean like "jesusfuckingchrist?"
Not totally related, but it seems like a good place to celebrate that anniversery. Did you know, it's supposed to be exactly 500 years, since the first human said "kiss my ass"? At least in recorded history. Götz von Berlichingen, knight and plunderer, told an official trying to arrest him for arson to "lick his hindparts" (hinden lecken).
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Orcs in Lord of the Rings Atheists? Sweden83 34 2162 December 21, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3298 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3269 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2868 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6768 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Vain, or Humble? Heat 32 5177 October 31, 2015 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is the name for modern atheists? bambi_swag 63 12460 October 4, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  CHRIST THE LORD Jesus Christ IS THE LORD 115 12308 August 1, 2015 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's your atheist stripper name? Spooky 31 6565 March 15, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Soviet Union wars in the name of Atheism? IanHulett 28 9147 February 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37