Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be, Do, Have
Be, Do, Have
Most people live their lives backwards. They Try to have (attain) what they want to have, in order to be able to do what they want to do, in order to be what they want to be. I think it's the other way around. You should first aim to be what you want to be, in order to do what you want to do, in order to have (attain) what you want to have. Thoughts?
RE: Be, Do, Have
very interesting. i think it depends on the definition of what they want to be is. if, for example, someone wanted to be a pilot they would need to do what they wanted, to attain what they need, in order to achieve the title they want to be.
Sounds like something Deepak fucking Chopra would say. And that guy is certifiable.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(July 14, 2010 at 9:49 pm)Godhead Wrote: Most people live their lives backwards. They Try to have (attain) what they want to have, in order to be able to do what they want to do, in order to be what they want to be. I think it's the other way around. You should first aim to be what you want to be, in order to do what you want to do, in order to have (attain) what you want to have. Thoughts?

My own take on the issue would be something like this:

First of all, be true to yourself. Look into yourself with unflinching honesty. Try your best to act authentically- don't put up a facade, and especially don't lie about who you are to yourself. Accept responsibility for yourself and your actions.

If you know who you are, then you know what you want, i.e. what aims in life are important to you. You can then try to acieve whatever your goals in life are.

Although, as The Stones say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxkdmL3iMCY

So is any of that profound? Nope. Is it trite? Oh yes.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
Shrinking Pinecone -

That's one way of looking at it. But what about (in terms of becoming a pilot) :

Be : The sort of person with the right (personal) qualities for such a job, and the determination to attain it, in order to...
Do : Do the training, and do it well, in order to...
Have : Attain the position
To be who you are you must do what you do. Same thing.

To be who you are you must have the thoughts and be made of the material that makes you you. Same thing. Where's the distinction?

To do what you are you must be who you are. Same thing.

To do what you do you must have the thoughts and be made of the material that makes you do what you do. Same thing. Where's the distinction?

EvF