Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One simple question
One simple question
http://usualrhetoric.blogspot.com/2010/0...eists.html

I wrote it because Arcanus doesn't choose answer.

An Open letter to theists

In regards to religion, my stance is relatively strong, but not at all immovable or impervious to persuasion. Having said this, I have come across a subject within the realm of belief that I observe to be inconsistent with the actions and ideologies of those who abide by it.

To present this issue, I have a single question to ask to theists (preferably those who believe in a personal God). The question is derived from a discussion I've had with the authors of the blog "Aristophrenium".

They weren't kind enough to give me an answer at all, so I hope to get some sort of response from a similarly level-headed theist regarding this matter.

Here it is:

"How do you determine what is real and what is not real?"

I suspect this will give me more insight into the matter, and will accurately illustrate exactly where our point of disagreement is.
RE: One simple question
My answer to the question is this :

I determine what is real and what's not by what I perceive, what I think I perceive, what I believe, and what I feel. My assessment of what's real and what isn't is based on a combination of all of those things. I trust my physical senses, and my sense of logic, and my emotions and intuition.
How do YOU tell?

I just kinda guess. You have a better method?
I like to examine evidence but I guess that leaves you guys out.
oh, uhm. I'm not sure I do. I suppose if I can apply more then one sense to it. or ask other people if they "smell that skunk too?" I guess, I could just accept it and if it's real it's real, if it's not I'm crazy, but I am already crazy so I guess that matters little. Oh, also "people on the internet are not real people." I use that mantra when there are bigots and stupid people commenting that I stupidly read.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(July 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm)Godhead Wrote: My answer to the question is this :

I determine what is real and what's not by what I perceive, what I think I perceive, what I believe, and what I feel. My assessment of what's real and what isn't is based on a combination of all of those things. I trust my physical senses, and my sense of logic, and my emotions and intuition.

Uh huh. And through what method do you determine your perceptions, emotions and beliefs are correct?
(July 16, 2010 at 10:18 pm)Pippy Wrote: How do YOU tell?

I just kinda guess. You have a better method?

Question wasn't directed towards myself, nor was is a trick question in which I have an upper hand. It was directed towards theists for the purpose of delving into their mindset and system of belief.
Tavarish -

If it feels right, I take it as true.
I usually poke it with a stick until it retaliates.

This is reliable in about 88.7365333% of cases, roughly speaking.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(July 17, 2010 at 8:33 am)Godhead Wrote: Tavarish -

Jenny McCarthy would like your help...
(July 17, 2010 at 8:33 am)Godhead Wrote: Tavarish -

You're still not getting it. By what criteria do you determine if something feels "right"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 532 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3617 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20991 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 5485 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12823 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4949 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  It's a simple choice: Mystic 72 6286 December 31, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 14735 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Simple facts don't lie JBrentonK 78 14001 December 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A simple challenge for atheists bob96 775 109790 February 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod