Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Riddler - Series on FiveThirtyEight
The Riddler - Series on FiveThirtyEight
For those who don't know, FiveThirtyEight is a website dedicated to looking at current events in politics, economics, science, pop culture and sports through a statistics-heavy, projection-based lens. It's run by a very smart fellow named Nate Silver, who started it in 2008 to analyze presidential election polls; it's expanded greatly since then and has been purchased by ESPN (which, aside from creating a sports-heavy portion of the site, has allowed it a lot of room to operate as it pleases). It's still probably the very best site for numbers-based election coverage.

At any rate, FiveThirtyEight writer Oliver Roeder has started a weekly blog series called The Riddler. Here's how he describes it:

Quote:Welcome to FiveThirtyEight’s first weekly installment of The Riddler. On Fridays, I’ll offer up a problem related to the things we hold dear around here — math, logic and probability, of course. These problems, puzzles and riddles will come from lots of top-notch puzzle folks around the world, including you, the readers.

This is the sort of thing I love, so I figured I would start a thread on here where I and anyone else interested could discuss the puzzle, talk about the solutions, and discuss any other sorts of mathematical puzzles that caught our fancy. So, each week I plan on linking to The Riddler's most recent puzzle, giving some brief thoughts, and opening the floor to discussion! The types of problems are a lot like "The 100 Prisoners' Problem" recently posted on here by Aractus, so hopefully stuff like that can find its way to this thread too!

There have been 11 Riddler puzzles posted already, so I'll work through posting them over the next week or two, including a couple right now to start things off right!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: The Riddler - Series on FiveThirtyEight
The Riddler Puzzle One: What's the Best Way to Drop a Smartphone?

Here's the very first Riddler puzzle, posted by Oliver Roeder on December 11, 2015:

[quote]Now, here’s this week’s inaugural Riddler, which comes to us from Laura Feiveson, an economist at the Federal Reserve’s Board of Governors:

You work for a tech firm developing the newest smartphone that supposedly can survive falls from great heights. Your firm wants to advertise the maximum height from which the phone can be dropped without breaking.

You are given two of the smartphones and access to a 100-story tower from which you can drop either phone from whatever story you want. If it doesn’t break when it falls, you can retrieve it and use it for future drops. But if it breaks, you don’t get a replacement phone.

Using the two phones, what is the minimum number of drops you need to ensure that you can determine exactly the highest story from which a dropped phone does not break? (Assume you know that it breaks when dropped from the very top.) What if, instead, the tower were 1,000 stories high?[quote]

I haven't looked at the answer, and I don't immediately see how to solve it, so here are my thoughts written out on how to get towards a solution:

So, based on all that, here's my first guess towards a solution. I'm not convinced this is the best method, only that it's a reasonable guess that I'll need to spend some time thinking about improving:

So, my question becomes, is that the best strategy, though? I'm going to think about it for a little bit. If you think you have the answer, and want to check it against mine, go ahead and post if yours is better! Or post anything else that comes to mind, variations on the problem, etc. I haven't addressed the 1000 story variation (although I think my solution above could be easily extended to that case), so if you have thoughts on that post them as well!

If you only get 2 phones, 9 and 9 I think is a guaranteed solution. (18 moves max)

Tthere are other riskier moves with less potential total moves, but with no guarantee of an absolute answer.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 25, 2016 at 5:06 am)ignoramus Wrote: If you only get 2 phones, 9 and 9 I think is a guaranteed solution. (18 moves max)

Tthere are other riskier moves with less potential total moves, but with no guarantee of an absolute answer.

I tend to agree.  This should then mean that, for 1000 stories, the max should be 2 * (square root of 1000, rounded down) = 62.

The strategy's the same, except instead of going S10, S20... S90 with the first phone and using the second phone to fine tune the nine stories between each decade, you go S32, S64... S960, S992 (thirty-one) and then use the second phone to fine tune the 31 stories between each thirty-second.  You end up not quite even (at floor 992, with only 7 possible floors above) because 1000 is not a perfect square.

Let's see what the solution on the site says:

NO WE ARE WRONG!!! We can do better!!!

Discussion of the correct solution, and why we are wrong:

So, open challenge to anyone who saw my and Ignoramus's reasonable but ultimately incorrect efforts: POST YOUR BETTER SOLUTION BELOW (without cheating, sucka) AND YOU WILL GET MAJOR PROPS FROM ME AND MAYBE A REP  Wink

I'll post The Riddler No. 2 later today!

I am intrigued, but not much of a puzzle solver. Math is not my strong point. Dodgy

I will watch and probably learn something. I work more in common sense, probabilities.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
The Riddler PUZZLE TWO - Which Geyser Gushes First?

This is the 2nd puzzle in FiveThirtyEight's The Riddler series, in which Oliver Roeder posts an interesting math/creative thinking-ish brain-teaser every Friday.  I'll post either my solution (if I can come up with one) or my initial thoughts (if I don't see how to solve it) in hide tags, and everyone is welcome to give it a go! I have promised a rep to people who solve a problem that I got wrong Big Grin

The first Riddler question (see above) lulled me into a false sense of security, and I got it hella wrong.  So, here's number two:

Quote:Now, here’s this week’s Riddler, which comes to us from Brian Galebach, an amateur mathematician from Columbia, Maryland:

You arrive at the beautiful Three Geysers National Park. You read a placard explaining that the three eponymous geysers — creatively named A, B and C — erupt at intervals of precisely two hours, four hours and six hours, respectively. However, you just got there, so you have no idea how the three eruptions are staggered. Assuming they each started erupting at some independently random point in history, what are the probabilities that A, B and C, respectively, will be the first to erupt after your arrival?

This was the first Riddler question I read, and I saw how to solve it straight away (it just took a little bit to work out the numbers).  Here's my groundwork - my initial way of thinking about the problem - which you can check out if you want a hint:

And then here's the solution:

That one was a bit easier if you're not afraid of fractions Big Grin I haven't looked at any of the remaining problems, so I'll be working through them on here over the coming days!  POST YOUR SOLUTIONS AND SHOW ME HOW AWESOME YOU ARE.

Joe's Record through 2 Riddler Puzzles: 1-1

The Riddler PUZZLE THREE - How Long Will Your Smartphone Distract You From Family Dinner?

This is the 3rd puzzle in FiveThirtyEight's The Riddler series, in which Oliver Roeder posts an interesting math/creative thinking-ish brain-teaser every Friday.  I'll post either my solution (if I can come up with one) or my initial thoughts (if I don't see how to solve it) in hide tags, and everyone is welcome to give it a go! I have promised a rep to people who solve a problem that I got wrong Big Grin

I'm one for two; as noted above, I crashed and burned on the first one but was able to brute force the second.  I haven't looked at this one yet, so, let's see if this will join the "stumps Joe" category:

Quote:Now, here’s this week’s Riddler, which comes to us from Olivia Walch, a mathematics Ph.D. student and cartoonist:

You’ve just finished unwrapping your holiday presents. You and your sister got brand-new smartphones, opening them at the same moment. You immediately both start doing important tasks on the Internet, and each task you do takes one to five minutes. (All tasks take exactly one, two, three, four or five minutes, with an equal probability of each). After each task, you have a brief moment of clarity. During these, you remember that you and your sister are supposed to join the rest of the family for dinner and that you promised each other you’d arrive together. You ask if your sister is ready to eat, but if she is still in the middle of a task, she asks for time to finish it. In that case, you now have time to kill, so you start a new task (again, it will take one, two, three, four or five minutes, exactly, with an equal probability of each). If she asks you if it’s time for dinner while you’re still busy, you ask for time to finish up and she starts a new task and so on. From the moment you first open your gifts, how long on average does it take for both of you to be between tasks at the same time so you can finally eat? (You can assume the “moments of clarity” are so brief as to take no measurable time at all.)

Hmmm..............................  Initial thoughts below in hide tags, then I'll open the floor to discussion before I post an attempted solution or an admission of defeat!

So, that's my thoughts on that! Time to put pen to paper.  THIS GOES FOR YOU ALL TOO.  REMEMBER, there is a SHINY NEW REP for someone who solves a problem I get wrong!!!

Good huntin'!

What's the best way to drop a smartphone?

Not at all.
I swear, I didn't forget about this! I just haven't had time. But I will be back soon with more RIDDLER QUESTIONS

(February 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: The Riddler PUZZLE THREE - How Long Will Your Smartphone Distract You From Family Dinner?

So, that's my thoughts on that! Time to put pen to paper.  THIS GOES FOR YOU ALL TOO.  REMEMBER, there is a SHINY NEW REP for someone who solves a problem I get wrong!!!

Good huntin'![/hide]

I know this is sort necropost but 1) it's my own thread I created for my own special purpose and 2) I've just thought about the problem for the first time since I posted it and 3) EvieAlasdair Ham necro'd it already a few weeks ago so it's his fault Big Grin

So, here's my best shot?  Whether I'm right or wrong, I am absolutely certain there is an easier way to do this.  But this is the most *obvious* way to me, even if it's exceedingly tedious and involved:

Big Reveal, time to check if I'm correct:

YES, I'M CORRECT!
But that's small comfort, because the solution given in the Riddler (which I've put in the hide tags below) is basically  four lines long (mine in the hide tags above is 73 lines long):

Well... I got it right.  But my solution certainly won't be in "the book".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doing algebra with infinite series is very risky GrandizerII 10 1202 July 21, 2023 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: polymath257