Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Input/Ideas needed for Multiplayer Browser Based Game
Input/Ideas needed for Multiplayer Browser Based Game
For those who can't remember back to April last year, I'm currently writing this: https://atheistforums.org/thread-32868.html

The basic idea is you create a religion, and use various techniques / strategies to gain followers, generate money, and of course, destroy as many rival religions as you possibly can.

I've been working on and off since that thread, and I'm nearing a point where I want to start alpha testing. Most of the game mechanics are in place, however the "content" of the game is currently pretty sparse, especially in one of the core mechanics: Doctrines.

As your religion grows, you will be required to make decisions on certain doctrinal issues, which range from the very basic "How many Gods exist?" to the more complex "Does your religion support the marriage between humans and dogs?" (for example).

How you decide these issues will very much shape how your religion grows, and will also unlock other issues for you to decide. What I really need at the moment are a bunch of creative ideas for doctrine issues, along with possible positions, which is why I created this thread.

So please have a think, and post as many multiple choice issues as you can think of. You can be as sensible or as bizarre as you like, and remember that issues might only apply to certain types of religion (for instance, if you make an "atheistic" religion, no doctrines about "God" or "Gods" will ever show up, but rather there should be plenty of philosophical and ethical questions.

The positions available don't have to be simple either (although "Yes" / "No" is fine in some circumstances), so if you want to be creative with the positions as well as the issues themselves, feel free.

Anyone who contributes doctrines which make it into the game will be compensated with in-game credit when it is released, and are also welcome to join the alpha testing when that happens (hopefully soon).

Thanks!
RE: Input/Ideas needed for Multiplayer Browser Based Game
So what do you have so far?
(February 26, 2016 at 12:41 am)bennyboy Wrote: So what do you have so far?

Pretty much the basic stuff, I've only been populating them for testing purposes since I'm trying to focus more on functionality at the moment.

So for instance, I have:

How many Gods exist?
- None
- One
- Many

Does God / Do the Gods interfere with the universe?
- Yes
- No

Does Heaven exist?
- Yes
- No

Does Hell exist?
- Yes
- No

etc.
This sounds fascinating. I'll try to come up with some ideas over the weekend. I don't go back to school until Monday, so this should be a fun project to work on!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Oh, do you want us to PM our ideas to you?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
PM or in the thread, I don't mind Smile
How do your followers pay homage to your god?
-Animal Sacrifice
-Human Sacrifice
-Tithing/Offering---> Sub: Crops/Money/children to the institution
-Build Monuments
- Ritual--->Sub: Dance/Prayer/Songs/etc

Is/Are your gods benevolent/malevolent?
-Benevolent
-Malevolent
-Depends on whether it is pleased

Is your religion intimately intertwined in your government?
-Yes ---> Sub: Is the religion state sponsored?, Is participation mandatory?
-No

Does your god regularly interact with his people?

Does your god prevent evil?

Does your god allow free will?

Also, each of these factors can have an effect on gaining followers and retaining them. For instance, if followers are kept poor, they will be more likely to stay in the religion, but it might be harder to acquire them.

You might have to force certain options. If a user were to create a nebulous, deistic god that doesn't interact with the universe, what would the gameplay be like?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 26, 2016 at 1:42 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Also, each of these factors can have an effect on gaining followers and retaining them. For instance, if followers are kept poor, they will be more likely to stay in the religion, but it might be harder to acquire them.

This is already implemented. Each position has a number of different effects, which are applied per region. So choosing a position might mean you gain 20% less followers in one region, but 30% more in another. Part of game strategy is to choose whether to balance the effects or focus on one region and maximizing the effects there.

Quote:You might have to force certain options. If a user were to create a nebulous, deistic god that doesn't interact with the universe, what would the gameplay be like?

Again, already implemented. Smile

Most doctrines have sets of requirements in order for a user to see them / make decisions on them. So once I have a big set of doctrines I'll put all the requirements in, in a logical order.
I have one...

Is your god a jealous god?
- yes - Sub: What does he do to the people as punishment? Make blood (animal/human) sacrifices, Send them to hell, inflict them with a disease, send plagues etc.
- no
Should the religion be proselytising or non-proselytising?
- proselytising (spreads fast, but internal conflicts rise in numbers)
- non-proselytising (spreads slow, but less internal conflicts among followers and resistant to conversions)

Should the followers be from a certain race?
- Yes (spreads slow, but less internal conflicts among followers and resistant to conversions)
- No, all are allowed (spreads fast, but internal conflicts rise in numbers)

Should the religion be spread through force or knowledge, resource-bribes?
- Force
- Knowledge
- Resource sharing/trading

How should gender equality be handled?
- Males are dominant over females (Female population declines, Advantage when spreading through wars)
- Females are dominant over male (Male population declines, Advantage when spreading through knowledge/resource-bribes)
- They are equal (Rapid progression through skill trees, no added advantage while spreading)
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social distancing party ideas tackattack 15 1063 August 31, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  KSP multiplayer anyone? dyresand 2 809 November 29, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  [Idea] Multiplayer Browser Based Game Where You Create Your Own Religion Tiberius 52 11680 June 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  New ideas for a computer game? paulpablo 23 5664 June 7, 2013 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer Trailer MilesTailsPrower 21 5429 September 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: frankiej