Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist zone
Theist zone
Just for a change, I'd like to have a discussion with the theists on here. To get things started :

- In your view, what is god?
- What does god do?
- Are you religious? If so do you follow all of it?
- Anything else?
RE: Godhead & theists
The positive force

- What does god do?
Makes it possible for me to be like him

- Are you religious? If so do you follow all of it?
No, 'though I follow standard Christian doctrine.
Don't do it, fr0d0!

[Image: its_a_trap.jpg]
(July 19, 2010 at 7:56 am)Godhead Wrote: Just for a change, I'd like to have a discussion with the theists on here. To get things started :

It would be better to ask who God is. Your question makes it appear that God is impersonal. We were originally created in God's image so the fact that we have personalities shows that God has one too.

Quote:- What does god do?
He created all that exists and he still controls it. He has given humans the power to obey or disobey him so not everything that happens is his will but he has a plan for his creation that he will carry out. For a complete answer to this question, read the Bible.

Quote:- Are you religious? If so do you follow all of it?
That depends on what you mean by religious. I try to obey God completely although I am not always successful.

Quote:- Anything else?
I can't think of anything right now. Your questions seem to have pretty well covered the subject.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Theophilus -

I believe that everything in existence is the manifestation of god. So I would say that we (and everything that exists) is, in a way, god's image.

In terms of creation, I don't consider that god ever created anything, because that would imply that it created in the way that we would create something. But if god is the "creator" of everything, what could he have used to create with, if god is the only thing that exists (other than "things")? Surely it would create from itself? I believe that god is everything, and simultaneously infinitely beyond everything, so instead of saying created, I'd say manifested.

What would you say god wants you to do or not do? And would you say that my explanations above are accurate in any way or would you disagree? And feel free to ask me anything.
*sniff sniff * *digs around*

...nope, no facts in this page.
(July 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm)Godhead Wrote: I believe that god is everything, and simultaneously infinitely beyond everything...

What in the name of Sweet Zombie Jesus is this supposed to mean? It seems like vague mumbo-jumbo to me, but clearly I'm mistaken...
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
In your view, what is God?
God is Spirit, God is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, God is Holy and Righteous, God is just and good and this list could go on and on. I agree with Theophilus that the questin should be who is God and these are descriptions of who He is. I also agree that He is the creator of all.

What does God do?
God is in control of the plan He has laid out for mankind. Man has the freedom to choose his own path but in the end God's plan will ring true and righteous. God is already in tommorrow waiting on us to arrive and continue a relationship with Him.

Are you religious? If so do you follow all of it.
No not in the sense most people think of as religious. I do hold to basic traditions but believe the church as a whole is not going in the right direction to much tradition (religion) gets in the way of what christians need to be doing.

Anything else? This is a question without end and should be setup in catogeries.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm)theophilus Wrote: We were originally created in God's image so the fact that we have personalities shows that God has one too.

Since I have three testicles I guess, by your logic, God has three also.

Wait.... you have two?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(July 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm)Godhead Wrote: Surely it would create from itself?
Yes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 710 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2590 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2793 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9131 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2981 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1853 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3595 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22144 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14327 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 23023 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth