Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street preacher encounters
Street preacher encounters
So yesterday, for the first time in my life, I encountered a street preacher in person. I was on my way to work when I spotted a man holding a sign with the words "Jesus is Lord" painted on it. He was also talking into a bullhorn at the high school kids who'd just been let out. The only thing I remember him saying to them was, "Shut up and repent!" I'm curious about anyone else's encounters with these guys and if anyone has actually spoken to them and how did they respond?
"In three words I can sum up everything about life: it goes on."- Robert Frost
RE: Street preacher encounters
I approached one once and asked about God's command to "smite Amelek and spare them not. "Kill man and woman, infant and suckling, camel and ass."

He basically said they had it coming.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Most of my mine encounters here in the south have mostly been assholes trying to heal me. It's usually a very sharp "Do NOT touch me!", some threats of pepper spray, and maybe getting someone else to see the person harassing me. It helps being small blind and pink-covered, it's the only time I play up the cute little blind. The harassment stop almost the minute someone notices, and everyone notices me.
Encountered one who stopped me and said, "I'd like to talk to you about Jesus"

I tried to step around him and said, "Not interested."

He stepped in front of me and said, "Well, he's interested in you."

I tried stepping around him again and said, "Well, that's nice but I have no interested in your friend."

He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "He's everyone's friend."

I then pushed him away and said,"According to your mythology I'm going to hell anyway."

His answer, "You certainly are!"

And then I said, "And if you touch me again I'm going to fucking take you with me." Then I shoulder barged my way through him.
Dying to live, living to die.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the guy sounded like Josh Feurstein and from a distance even looked like him. Then I got a closer look and found it wasn't.
"In three words I can sum up everything about life: it goes on."- Robert Frost
(March 3, 2016 at 6:37 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Encountered one who stopped me and said, "I'd like to talk to you about Jesus"

I tried stepping around him again and said, "Well, that's nice but I have no interested in your friend."

I then pushed him away and said,"According to your mythology I'm going to hell anyway."

And then I said, "And if you touch me again I'm going to fucking take you with me."  Then I shoulder barged my way through him.

Ugh. People getting inside my personal space uninvited is a major peeve of mine. Do so at your peril.
(March 3, 2016 at 6:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 6:37 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Encountered one who stopped me and said, "I'd like to talk to you about Jesus"

And then I said, "And if you touch me again I'm going to fucking take you with me."  Then I shoulder barged my way through him.

Ugh.  People getting inside my personal space uninvited is a major peeve of mine.  Do so at your peril.

That's the thing that pissed me off the most.

I don't like people touching me unless I ask them to.
Dying to live, living to die.
Apart from him, I never encountered any.

[Image: Waluliso-c-TARS631-728x434.jpg]

Died some 20 years ago and wasn't an actual preacher. Unless you consider preaching for the importance of Water, Air and Sun to be religious.

They even called a bridge after him after he died.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I had an encounter with one outside of a store, who was apparently asking for "donations" as well. I was in horrible rush and when he approached me with the Jesus-jabber, I quickly interrupted him and said " Yeah, man...Just gimme the tract." I had a lot of shit to do that day.
He shut up, gave me the tract and I started to walk into the store. Then I heard "That's it? You're not gonna give?"
I looked down an the piece of paper and it was about the church's outreach program to homeless, drug-addicted, former-prostitute, battered veteran amputees or whatever. I said "Look, man. You didn't say anything about donations. All you did was invite me to church."

"Yeah, but we have this ministry...."

"All I've got is my bank card."

"So, what'd you take the tract for?" (Somewhat loud and attitude-nal)

"You want it back? Here. Take it!"

"No, you keep it. And have yourself a blessed day." (very condescending, shitty tone)

Then I said "Yeah....you, too." I flashed him a fake smile and tossed it in the waste bin, right in front of him.

Oddly enough, I was actually still a believer when that transpired. Go figure.
I generally back away or chuckle, and like most British people, pretend they don't even exist.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Encounter with a Hindu preacher Gooders1002 10 6757 May 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  Why This Preacher Chose 09.09.09 To Hijack A Plane... Retorth 14 4382 September 12, 2009 at 3:03 am
Last Post: theVOID