Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philistines
The Philistines
A lecture by Prof. Aren Maier who has been excavating the Philistine city of Gath at a site known as Tel-es-Safi.

It's amusing to watch Prof. Maier indicate that his bible is full of shit while he wears a yarmulke!  Still, archaeology dismisses the bible bullshit tales involving the so-called David which the xtristards will just hate.

It is an hour and 12 minutes long but you don't have to watch it all at once.
RE: The Philistines
Mormon archaeological digs have yielded precisely zero support for even the most trifling particle of the Book of Mormon.

Maybe the Mormons and Aren could share a near beer sometime and commiserate ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm sure Maier would find mormons amusing.

It was he who told Simcha Jacobovici "you aren't naked and you aren't an archaeologist."
The yarmulke comment reminded of this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=seuCWDSi8WQ

I'll admit that I've only watched the first ten minutes of the OP video, but it's already intriguing and will be back after consumption.
Yes, the first time I heard Lewis' Flintstones comment I hurt my ribs laughing.

And Maier is such a step up from what we usually get around here.  When he makes a point he normally has some piece of evidence to back him up.  So unlike the creatards who soil our carpets with jesus shit.
Fuck those goat-fucking Judahites.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/29/scienc...wanted=all

Quote:Archeologists are uncovering increasing evidence that the Philistines, arch foes of the Israelites in biblical times whose name became synonymous with barbarity and boorishness, were actually the creators of fine pottery and grand architecture, clever urban planners and cosmopolitan devotees of the grape. If anything, the Israelites, at the time mostly shepherds and farmers in the hills, were the less-sophisticated and -cultured folk.

Quote:Two Israeli archeologists, Trude Dothan and Moshe Dothan of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, say that from their 30 years of investigations has emerged a picture of the Philistines as great traders, master builders and one of the most civilized peoples of their time. The Philistines' influence in bringing culture to the region was probably considerable.

Once again, it seems that the bible is exposed as fucking bullshit.
(March 15, 2016 at 12:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Fuck those goat-fucking Judahites.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/29/scienc...wanted=all

Quote:Archeologists are uncovering increasing evidence that the Philistines, arch foes of the Israelites in biblical times whose name became synonymous with barbarity and boorishness, were actually the creators of fine pottery and grand architecture, clever urban planners and cosmopolitan devotees of the grape. If anything, the Israelites, at the time mostly shepherds and farmers in the hills, were the less-sophisticated and -cultured folk.

Quote:Two Israeli archeologists, Trude Dothan and Moshe Dothan of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, say that from their 30 years of investigations has emerged a picture of the Philistines as great traders, master builders and one of the most civilized peoples of their time. The Philistines' influence in bringing culture to the region was probably considerable.

Once again, it seems that the bible is exposed as fucking bullshit.

The Bible is an ethnocentric Middle Eastern Jewish religious fairy tale.  Why wouldn't it be bullshit?
I don't think the bullshit representation of the Philistines by Biblical authors is all that strange. It's almost a universal trait for a culture to paint its enemies in the worst possible light (Romans of the Late Republic/Early Empire are notable exceptions). Which is going to be more acceptable to the proles:

'We have to attack the barbaric, savage Philistines because they want to destroy us'

or

'We have to attack the learned, skillful, cultured Philistines because they have stuff we want'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson