Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Second Coming already happened???
The Second Coming already happened???
I used to wonder (sometimes out loud, to the irritation of my pastor) about these Bible verses while growing-up in my fundamentalist evangelical Christian church:

Quote:Luke 9.27:  "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

Mark 9.1:  And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

Matthew 16.28:  "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Of course, fundamentalists can play games with these verses, but it seems to me that Jesus thought that the end of world would happen within a generation of his lifetime.  Saint Paul seems to have also thought this.
RE: The Second Coming already happened???
Yeah. Jesus wanted his followers to give away all their possessions, up to the shirt off their backs, because he thought the world was going to end very soon. Decades from then, not thousands of years.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Gee, a claimant to being the Son of God makes a single factual error, it totally falsifies the claim.

Looks like the Christers fell for a charlatan.

Go Jews !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yup, that is the sensible interpretation. Most of the things he said make no sense in any other context, and it's why Christians are so unlike Christ; they ignore most of his words or dismiss them as parables where convenient.

He done fucked up. He was under the delusion he was coming back, and he didn't. He didn't even rise from the dead in the original account, we just have some suspicious guy hanging around his tomb, telling a story within a story about what had happened.

As usual, it matters more what people have been indoctrinated to believe rather than if it has any evidence (if you even count the bible as evidence in the first place). Everyone will then just make up excuses why the text doesn't back up their beliefs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The Second Coming happens quite a bit, as long as I have a sandwich or a glass of juice after the first one.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Tell me more,you stud !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They were no different than any other doomsday cult except in staying power.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 6, 2016 at 10:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Second Coming happens quite a bit, as long as I have a sandwich or a glass of juice after the first one.

Boru

For me, it occurs after a meal at McDonald's, but, getting back to the regularly scheduled programming...

My "experience" that I mentioned in my OP occurred around the age of 12 or 13; I remember sitting in church reading my Bible, and, "Viola!"  I went up to my pastor a short time later and asked him about it and he just stared at me, putting his hands up, basically saying, "I don't have time for this or you..."  I think that this was the beginning of my journey away from the Christian religion.
(March 6, 2016 at 11:11 am)mh.brewer Wrote: They were no different than any other doomsday cult except in staying power.

Or big-arse Roman swords, as they're known.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 6, 2016 at 11:12 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 10:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Second Coming happens quite a bit, as long as I have a sandwich or a glass of juice after the first one.

Boru

For me, it occurs after a meal at McDonald's, but, getting back to the regularly scheduled programming...

My "experience" that I mentioned in my OP occurred around the age of 12 or 13; I remember sitting in church reading my Bible, and, "Viola!"  I went up to my pastor a short time later and asked him about it and he just stared at me, putting his hands up, basically saying, "I don't have time for this or you..."  I think that this was the beginning of my journey away from the Christian religion.

I had kinda the same thing. As best as I can remember it went "I don't have an answer or response, you just have to believe." Exit, stage right.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dozens of Nigerians freed from church awaiting 'Second Coming' in Ondo zebo-the-fat 2 570 July 3, 2022 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Here's What Happened to the RCC.... ronedee 41 4028 October 31, 2021 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3674 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Jesus' Second Coming Foxaèr 23 2480 June 16, 2020 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  So what happened? Drich 230 20595 July 31, 2019 at 11:01 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  So again I asked what happened??? Drich 25 2532 July 27, 2019 at 3:51 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The death of the Sun and Jesus' Second Coming. Jehanne 13 1750 October 30, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The 100-year anniversay of Fatima is coming-up! Jehanne 21 4930 October 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6143 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15220 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished