Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celebrating womens' day... with asininity.
Celebrating womens' day... with asininity.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35773208

The First Lady of Turkey, Emine Erdogan, praised the Ottoman harem as "an educational establishment that prepared women for life" at an event in Ankara. This is of course neglecting some important details, such as most of said harem being slaves captured from raids in India and Europe. I could see if maybe she was coming at this from an angle of being inspired by survivors of abuse, but that wasn't her message, she went in and actually defended the institution.

That said, I'm not shocked by this statement at all. This is what happens when you vote in a president who is well-known to have an Islamist background. When I  first heard about this a couple of years ago, I actually said "yknow, is this for the better?" There you go.

I'm just glad to see Turkish people dragging her across social media. Why is it never these people who the regressive left look at when they're talking about "offense"?
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

RE: Celebrating womens' day... with asininity.
What gives you the impression that anyone defends Erdogan or his family here? It only so happens that the husband is the bigger problem. Quite often called an Islamist, but more importantly, a clear and present danger to world peace right now.

Also, what do you expect from a woman married to a nationalist/Islamist? It's more the nationalist side driving her comment, since under Erdogan there's a whole lot of glorification for the Osman empire going on. And the driving force behind Osman expansion wasn't religion but power.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fuck womens equality nintendo048 69 10694 March 31, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s