Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pharyngula on strike
Pharyngula on strike
For those that didn't know, PZ Meyers is on strike with his blog Pharyngula .

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/...strike.php

As Ex RDF/ current Ratz member I really appreciate the irony in his decision.

Technical difficulties on your site?
Along with being kept in the dark on all the issues?
An unhelpful and uncooperative admin?
Where have I heard that before?
And what position did PZ take then?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Pharyngula on strike
I take it he sided with Dawkins then?

What on Earth is going on at RDF these days?
Worse, he sided with the admin as if there was no blame whatsoever on the side of Josh.

I have no clue what is going on at RDF. After the closing of the forum most RDF members went to Ratz and later to their own forum http://www.rationalskepticism.org/

I decided to stick with Rationalia and this place.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I never visited RDF and the furor I saw over it is plain nuts. Really guys, it is only one forum.

You'd think a pack of rational beings would be a little less shrieky. After all, forums on the internet are, for the most part, private and must be kept with that in mind. I , for example, made peace with Adrian owning AF before I joined and do not even claim this is a place where free speech is maintained, along with other things, for it is Adrian's matter to dictate what happens here and I am fine to oblige that social contract.

Oh well - we are all human, after all. Big Grin
(July 21, 2010 at 10:17 am)Synackaon Wrote: You'd think a pack of rational beings would be a little less shrieky. After all, forums on the internet are, for the most part, private and must be kept with that in mind.

That's just it, RDF wasn't private, it was a part of the RDF foundation and people who worked for it and put a lot of effort into it were totally kept in the dark on its future, no tech support was given on a minor thing that could have been solved months ago, and the blame was shifted to the mods when the shit hit the fan while Josh is just as accountable as any other staff member.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(July 21, 2010 at 10:17 am)Synackaon Wrote: I , for example, made peace with Adrian owning AF before I joined and do not even claim this is a place where free speech is maintained, along with other things, for it is Adrian's matter to dictate what happens here and I am fine to oblige that social contract.
I'd like to think that as of the move to the new server, atheistforums.org is community owned, rather than owned by just myself. Yes, I technically own the domain, but the storage of data and the programs that run the forums themselves were paid for by the community.

I'd also hate it if I came across as "dictating what happens here". Yes, there are some rules that are enforced, but this is purely for the benefit of the community, and to stop it being overrun by spammers and flamers. I think we're generally quite open about policy here, and what our plans are.
(July 21, 2010 at 10:52 am)Tiberius Wrote: I think we're generally quite open about policy here, and what our plans are.
So do I. I don't think the forum could be any better at the moment. How did that happen??
I was wondering if someone would mention this. Pharyngula is a site I visit daily. I read the comments at work and silently laugh to myself as I glance at my godbot boss across the room.

Hope it gets resolved soon.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(July 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm)Rhage Wrote: I was wondering if someone would mention this. Pharyngula is a site I visit daily. I read the comments at work and silently laugh to myself as I glance at my godbot boss across the room.

PZ will find an avenue to speak from, no matter the issue. He already has had quite a few offers from other skeptic sites, who desperately want to host him.

You cannot shut up the bearded man on a triceratops carrying a squid.
(July 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm)Synackaon Wrote:
(July 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm)Rhage Wrote: I was wondering if someone would mention this. Pharyngula is a site I visit daily. I read the comments at work and silently laugh to myself as I glance at my godbot boss across the room.

You cannot shut up the bearded man on a triceratops carrying a squid.

ROFLOL

The strike is over. Thank Odin!
Still Alive
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will there be a nuclear strike in your lifetime? CapnAwesome 55 11190 June 5, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5084 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel
Sad My Parents Strike Again littlegrimlin1 53 12525 November 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: littlegrimlin1