Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIRST country song I have ever really liked.
A little background. I grew up unfortunately on a street full of bigots, and grew up associating country music to bigotry. Well that is flat out false, just like any other group, you have assholes in every bunch. I have learned a lot since then, especially after meeting my "redneck" friend from Oklahoma, John. He grew up believing, gave up on it in his early 20s but even then was more of a Libertarian. But after a stint at Dish Hellwork, he is now not only an redneck atheist, but an economic liberal as well. 

Anywho, he has pointed out to me over the years many liberal "rednecks" like Willy Nelson and Woody Guthrie, whom while I never got into but still valued their empathy. Well just now this morning I ran into a song by Margo Price "About To Find Out" which is about the smugness of those who think they are hot shit. Really appropriate considering what is going on in politics and the 1%.

HERE IS MARGO PRICE "ABOUT TO FIND OUT", 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9b7QwdCWhw
RE: FIRST country song I have ever really liked.
Didn't click on it. I long ago vowed that if county music were ever to come through my speakers, I'd have to buy a new computer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 26, 2016 at 3:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Didn't click on it.  I long ago vowed that if county music were ever to come through my speakers, I'd have to buy a new computer.

Boru

That is disappointing seriously.. Not just with you, but with most people. They get stuck on one style and consider all others crap. I used to do that too. The irony is that if you go into most famous artists music libraries, it will be full of a huge variety. 

Judging by the lyrics in this song alone, I can bet she is no fan of our right wing or war mongers. No, country music is not my favorite sure, and I don't go out of my way to listen to it 24/7, but I have learned one thing, you don't have to like everything, but hear enough, you will get to some you like.

When I was a kid, I was in to pop music and thought heavy rock like Kiss was noise. But slowly got into 80s rock and ended up hating 80s pop for a while, also thought all Jazz was noise until I dated a woman who was into it. Still not that much into rap, but even there I still run into the occasional song I do like. Also used to hate thrash metal but now that too is part of my eclectic tastes.

It really is not a crime to like a variety, and it is only because of corporate media humans get so stuck on bullshit, just like people will fight over Ford vs Chevy. 

You wont get cooties if you find a country song you like. Just like my former co workers who were solely into hip hop and R&B wouldn't get cooties if they ended up liking an 80s rock song. 

JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE!
Country music is like a strip joint containing only octogenarian strippers. I just don't want to go there.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 26, 2016 at 3:18 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 26, 2016 at 3:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Didn't click on it.  I long ago vowed that if county music were ever to come through my speakers, I'd have to buy a new computer.

Boru

That is disappointing seriously.. Not just with you, but with most people. They get stuck on one style and consider all others crap. I used to do that too. The irony is that if you go into most famous artists music libraries, it will be full of a huge variety. 

Judging by the lyrics in this song alone, I can bet she is no fan of our right wing or war mongers. No, country music is not my favorite sure, and I don't go out of my way to listen to it 24/7, but I have learned one thing, you don't have to like everything, but hear enough, you will get to some you like.

When I was a kid, I was in to pop music and thought heavy rock like Kiss was noise. But slowly got into 80s rock and ended up hating 80s pop for a while, also thought all Jazz was noise until I dated a woman who was into it. Still not that much into rap, but even there I still run into the occasional song I do like. Also used to hate thrash metal but now that too is part of my eclectic tastes.

It really is not a crime to like a variety, and it is only because of corporate media humans get so stuck on bullshit, just like people will fight over Ford vs Chevy. 

You wont get cooties if you find a country song you like. Just like my former co workers who were solely into hip hop and R&B wouldn't get cooties if they ended up liking an 80s rock song. 

JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE!

Well, hully gee, boss, aren't you the eclectic one? I don't like country music. I've tried it, I've listened to it - I simply don't care for it. I'm sure there are some absolute gems in the country genre out there, but I'm not about to waste either my time or my sensibilities wading through acres of shite looking for the gold nugget.

Try not to be so fucking judgmental and grasp the fact that people with tastes other than yours are not (necessarily) bad people. I need neither your pity or your condescension.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 26, 2016 at 3:22 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Country music is like a strip joint containing only octogenarian strippers. I just don't want to go there.

To be fair, much of today's music would not exist if it were not for instruments like the banjo which has it's roots in Africa and folk music from European immigrants.

New types of music never pop out if thin air and always arise from a mix of prior styles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo which influenced jazz

Which influenced 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass_music

And with out this, no classic rock or modern rock would exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockabilly Which lead to Elvis, not that I liked him much, but that did lead to heavier and harder music.

It is interconnected so I think much of the distaste comes from media competition and social constructs between fans of camps, but not as much between hard core artists and historians.
(March 26, 2016 at 3:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 26, 2016 at 3:18 pm)Brian37 Wrote: That is disappointing seriously.. Not just with you, but with most people. They get stuck on one style and consider all others crap. I used to do that too. The irony is that if you go into most famous artists music libraries, it will be full of a huge variety. 

JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE!

Well, hully gee, boss, aren't you the eclectic one?  I don't like country music.  I've tried it, I've listened to it  - I simply don't care for it.  I'm sure there are some absolute gems in the country genre out there, but I'm not about to waste either my time or my sensibilities wading through acres of shite looking for the gold nugget.

Try not to be so fucking judgmental and grasp the fact that people with tastes other than yours are not (necessarily) bad people.  I need neither your pity or your condescension.

Boru

Boro, I didn't say you were bad, show me where I said that. This isn't about you personally, it is more about an average about how most humans get stuck in ruts. I was being more sarcastic than anything and at best teasing you, nothing more.
The only thing I was serious about is seeing that a lot. I get it to a degree, no different than food, you like what you like and you don't like what you don't like. But far too much of that is because we get stuck on something and it is ok to expand too.
Cow pats. All I said was that I don't care for country music. You took that to mean that I'm stuck in a rut, that I don't try new things, that I don't appreciate variety. You're being a judgmental, self-righteous bunghole. My not like country music is, according to you, 'seriously disappointing'.

Piss directly off.

Boru
Here is a much better country song.
http://youtu.be/6Bwfm7-uNS4

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 593 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  A song that you hate The Valkyrie 33 2222 December 17, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  An 80s song that could apply to the past 4 years. Brian37 39 2109 November 25, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Things I'd have liked to see in Star Wars The Valkyrie 40 1848 November 4, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Yes, this IS a Buddy Holly Song....... Brian37 10 1005 June 13, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1090 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  First video ever played on MTV...... Brian37 59 4163 January 30, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 570 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  As much as I love ABBA, this is my fav song..... Brian37 16 1611 January 25, 2020 at 10:00 pm
  Challenge New, New year's song...... Brian37 0 205 January 3, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37