Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Awakening.
An Awakening.
Hello all! I am extremely new to the forums and what better way to familiarize myself than with my "story" of conversion to atheism. It's really less of a conversion and could be analogous to more of a realization of the way things should be. This won't be a particularly epic story with huge changes in lifestyle because of my conversion etc etc.

I am currently 18 years old, about to start my first year of college. I wasn't raised in an extremely religious home setting. We'd go to church whenever grandpa was in town and we never really prayed ever. But there was a set religion in the house (episcopal) even though it was never really practiced. I went through a sort of existentialist phase in the beginning of my senior year of high school. I was sitting at a high school football game and my friend just turns to me and goes "dude, did you ever think.. none of this really matters. we're just gonna die!!" There was more to it, but thats the gist. Anyways, this changed my outlook on life for the next few days and was actually even a little depressing! I was browsing through an existentialist website when I happened upon a comedy video about atheism. As simple as this video may have seemed, it satirically placed religion on the table in front of me and asked me, "what the hell is wrong with this picture?" From then on out I explored the world of atheism and officially declared myself an atheist!

I've been a *declared* atheist since october-ish 2009. It's a freeing position to be in.

My Views: I don't have anything against religion. I find the existence of any sort of "deity" extremely illogical. It's not my place to say that there is without a doubt no deity in existence because really nobody can say for sure that there is or isn't one.. However, there is a ridiculous amount of evidence pointing towards the non-existence of a "god" of any sort Smile

*edit* I'm going to post the video in the Atheism section
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
RE: An Awakening.
I believe you are an american because of the use of Grandpa instead of grandad, I'm right arent I.

Welcome

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:It's not my place to say that there is without a doubt no deity in existence because really nobody can say for sure that there is or isn't one.

Just as no one can say there are not invisible pink unicorns. However, in both cases the evidence for their existence is about the same.
Welcome, one with a robot's name.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Quote:I believe you are an american

Yes you are completely correct haha

Quote:Just as no one can say there are not invisible pink unicorns. However, in both cases the evidence for their existence is about the same.

And this is why I am atheist and not agnostic Big Grin
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
(July 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm)DR7164 Wrote: I find the existence of any sort of "deity" extremely illogical. It's not my place to say that there is without a doubt no deity in existence because really nobody can say for sure that there is or isn't one.. However, there is a ridiculous amount of evidence pointing towards the non-existence of a "god" of any sort Smile
Totally agree. Yet I'm a Christian???
And you use illogical faith to rationally believe in something illogical. Makes perfect sense.

Welcome DR7[...]